Nothern California "FARMERS MARKET" chain

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Floyd

Nothern California "FARMERS MARKET" chain

Post by Floyd »

I grew up in Stockton and recall a "Farmers Market" chain with two locations in East Stockton at 110 N. Filbert Street next to "Disco Department Store" and in North Stockton at 5757 Pacific Avenue next to Kmart. I remember ads on TV mentioning they had locations in Sacramento too. Any info on this chain?
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Photo of the Fairfield location, from the book "Main Street to Miracle Mile":

I know of a couple of Sacramento locations. I think they were pretty much ocnfined to the Central Valley, but may have had some locations in far-flung parts of the Bay Area. They seem to have disappeared by the early 1980s.
wulfgar64
Contributor

Re: Nothern California "FARMERS MARKET" chain

Post by wulfgar64 »

Yes, there were Farmers Markets in Sacramento. They've been closed since the early 80's.
Paper or Plastic
Contributor

Post by Paper or Plastic »

anyone have Sacramento location info ??
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

Vics Land Park IGA in Sacramento...?

(Note that I left the ' out of "Vics" since the store is no longer owned by Vic).
http://dtcwrt.earlracing.com/stores2/113/dcfc0043.jpg

I guess this is actually a former Jumbo. For some reason I thought it was Farmer's before Vic's.

I also think a store somewhere around Franklin called Harvest Foods was a Farmer's, but do not know for certain.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
J-Man
Veteran

Post by J-Man »

There was a Farmers on the south side of Madison east of Auburn Blvd. And I believe there was also one adjacent to the former K-Mart (now Home Depot) on Howe and Cottage. It later became Farmers Liquors, and then CompUSA.