Thrifty (and Other Rite-Aid Legacy Brands) Ice Cream

Moderator: Groceteria

Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

RiteAid still maintains the THRIFTY ice cream plant in El Monte CA.

THRIFTY ice cream is still sold @ RiteAid stores.

Mexico has THRIFTY ice cream stores/shops.
lvkewlkid
Veteran

Post by lvkewlkid »

From what I heard, its only sold in Nevada and California...
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

lvkewlkid wrote:From what I heard, its only sold in Nevada and California...
Good point...

I believe it is sold at the RiteAids that were former Thriftys.
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

Rite Aid also only sells the old K&B ice cream in their New Orleans area stores.
Scott Greer
lvkewlkid
Veteran

Post by lvkewlkid »

Dean wrote:
lvkewlkid wrote:From what I heard, its only sold in Nevada and California...
Good point...

I believe it is sold at the RiteAids that were former Thriftys.
Most of the RiteAids in Las Vegas were former Payless's...the Thrifty's were sold to Sav-On...
storeliker
Contributor

Thrifty Ice cream

Post by storeliker »

I recently was in Arizona and saw that the old Baskin Robbins was now a Thrifty Brand Ice Cream place in the mini mall. It was same brand and logo but no Rite Aid in sight.
How manyThrifty Ice Cream shops are there now?
me
J-Mac
Veteran

Post by J-Mac »

Speaking of Thrifty Ice Cream Availability...

There is an ice cream counter in a Shell Gas Station in Gila Bend, AZ. I don't have photographs, but the building does have a small rectangular sign on the exterior of the building with a red "Thrifty Ice Cream" logo. This store sells ice cream out of the bulk pack only.

There appear to be a number of Water/Ice stores in Arizona that also sell Thrifty Ice Cream. I've been by one such location, never in, but I've found at least three by a simple google search.

Also found this: http://www.azcentral.com/ent/dining/art ... heast.html
Scroll down to the "Water and Ice Carwash."

Strange that Thrifty Ice Cream would have such a distribution in Arizona - a place that Rite Aid seems to be avoiding.
luckysaver
Veteran

Re: Thrifty (and Other Rite-Aid Legacy Brands) Ice Cream

Post by luckysaver »

All California Rite Aids sell Thrifty Ice Cream - prepacked and a service bar by the cashiers. The Chino Hills store (71/Soquel Canyon) was built last year and features a Thrifty Ice Cream bar.

The ice cream plant is on Telstar Ave off I-10 and Rosemead Blvd (CA19) in El Monte, behind the Wells Fargo building. Their logo is the 1997 Thrifty logo with their mascot, a 1 scoop cone with two eyes and a mouth and is seen on their trucks, marked "Thrifty Ice Cream Division of Rite Aid Corporation).

The prepacked ice cream/sherbets no longer comes in a half-gallon brick. It was replaced a couple of months ago bya 1.75 quart tub (part of food packaging downsizing trend) with all the same flavors as before. They still have 5-gallon pails in limited flavors.

There are some Thrifty Ice Cream shops in Mexico (vallartaonline.com, and casabaja.com):

luckysaver
Attachments
moneyx.jpg
moneyx.jpg (26.09 KiB) Viewed 17878 times
thrifty_fuera_400x402.jpg
J-Man
Veteran

Post by J-Man »

My office is about a block away from the Thrifty plant in El Monte. We keep hoping that there'll be a factory tour or at least an ice cream counter someday!
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

luckysaver wrote:All California Rite Aids sell Thrifty Ice Cream - prepacked and a service bar by the cashiers.
As I thought as well.

Yet, visited the Rite Aid @ 11890 Plaza Drive, San Juan Capistrano. It is an old PayLess Drug. NO ice cream served from the counter. They referred me to the Rite Aid across the street (32121 Camino Capistrano)...which is an old Thrifty, and it DOES serve ice cream.

So, is this an unique situation...or do the old PayLess sites NOT serve ice cream?
J-Mac
Veteran

Post by J-Mac »

Dean wrote:
luckysaver wrote:All California Rite Aids sell Thrifty Ice Cream - prepacked and a service bar by the cashiers.
As I thought as well.

Yet, visited the Rite Aid @ 11890 Plaza Drive, San Juan Capistrano. It is an old PayLess Drug. NO ice cream served from the counter. They referred me to the Rite Aid across the street (32121 Camino Capistrano)...which is an old Thrifty, and it DOES serve ice cream.

So, is this an unique situation...or do the old PayLess sites NOT serve ice cream?
I can't say if that is a unique situation or not, but I can point to three former Payless sites that did receive ice cream counters:

5545 Stearns Street., Long Beach, CA
405 W Imperial Hwy, Brea, CA
18395 Brookhurst St., Fountain Valley, CA

I don't know when these ice cream counters showed up in these stores, Brea and Fountain Valley were remodeled by Rite Aid while Stearns in Long Beach is an older Payless site with an old Payless interior, yet it also has a counter.
lvkewlkid
Veteran

Post by lvkewlkid »

the former rite aids in las vegas (besides the freestanding ones), from what i understand, were all former Pay Less's, they all had ice cream counters, and I believe most of them were remodeled or identical to the new freestanding ones...except for maybe the one on boulder hwy...
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Spoke with a clerk at RiteAid...about how I could tell the site had been Thrifty.

She said her/their paycheck STILL say Thrifty.

I guess the Thrifty sites are ran as an entity within RiteAid?
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

The reason that the clerk's paycheck says Thrifty on it is that all former Thrifty Payless stores that are now Rite Aid are internally known (as a phantom subsidiary) as Thrifty-Payless Inc. CA liquor licenses for various Rite Aids (the ex-Thrifty/Payless) are all registered to "Thrifty-Payless Inc dba Rite Aid Store #". The check might say Rite Aid Corporation if the store is a newly built unit.

The same may probably apply to the Ralphs or Food4Less stores that were ex-Alpha Betas ("Alpha Beta Company dba Ralphs #" ).

If you google the search for the company (such as Rite Aid or Kroger) and include Exhibit 21.1, you'll see a list of every single company within the corporation as well as legacy companies and phantom subsidiaries.

luckysaver