Largest Walgreens store I've seen

Moderator: Groceteria

luckysaver
Veteran

Largest Walgreens store I've seen

Post by luckysaver »

I was driving last night on Sunset Blvd in the Echo Park section of Los Angeles (west of Dodger Stadium) near the intersection with Alvarado Street (State Highway 2), I noticed a very large, rather a wide rectangular Walgreens store. It appeared to have been built by the company from the ground up, but most new Walgreens buildings are square in shape such as West Covina (Amar and Azusa) or Chino (Central and Walnut). This particular store is standalone, not attached to any other building in the strip mall.

In comparison, new CVS stores are also square in shape. Those that are rectangular were the former larger sized Savon Drugs (excluding Savon stores that Albertsons built in 2000-2001).

LOCATION - Sunset Blvd between Echo Park Ave and Alvarado Street

luckysaver
Jeff
Veteran

Re: Largest Walgreens store I've seen

Post by Jeff »

The Walgreens you are referring to is the former Pioneer Market on Sunset.
It was subdivided into a Walgreens and a discount store.
rudyvalencia

Post by rudyvalencia »

There are several Walgreens stores here in Colorado that were former Longs Drugs stores. One notable example is found in Fort Collins, Colorado in a shopping plaza at Lemay and Riverside near an Albertsons (which is still operating; the last time I recall going there was a couple months ago).
Image - Kmart aficionado and grocery store fan
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

In the past (pre 1980s), Walgreens stores were rather large, having restataunts, sporting goods departments, even garden departments
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

In Chicago, those stores would have large liquor departments.
47of74
Contributor

Post by 47of74 »

The first Dubuque Walgreens store was up at Kennedy Mall, where Dick's Sporting Goods is located now. About ten years ago they built a new store about 1/4 mile away on JFK Road and closed down the mall store. As I recall at the time Walgreens gave the explanation that they wanted to get away from the mall format and into free standing stores.
MikeRa
Veteran

Post by MikeRa »

The largest Walgreens I've seen is a 3-story Walgreens that recently opened on the NE corner of Broad & Chestnut Streets, in Philadelphia. It is space that former tennants included Borders Books, Philadelphia National Bank (CoreStates Bank), and the Men's Store for John Wanamaker Department Store.