Zody's

Moderator: Groceteria

Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

runchadrun wrote:
Jeff wrote:Both around here that I can remember were turned into bakers square restaurants. One closed last year in Alhambra and is being remodeled into shops, the other in montebello is still open, but has no remnants of the original building.
The Alhambra store (on Valley near Almansor) was a Godfather's Pizza before becoming a Bakers Square.

A good portion of my adolesence was spent in that shopping center before it got remodeled. Zodys, Newberry's, Thrifty.... what else could a kid ask for? (Sad, I know...) I had a paper route for the Alhambra Post-Advocate in the neighborhood immediately behind the shopping center between Almansor and New; Valley and Norwood.
It was neat when they remodeled it. They had taken over all the 70's 80's remodel architechture and underneath was the old storefronts, old signage still remained as well! All lost when remodeled in the 90s.

Also, if you look at the Staples, look above where it says Staples, and you can still see ZODYS faded underneath the paint
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

Jeff wrote:Also, if you look at the Staples, look above where it says Staples, and you can still see ZODYS faded underneath the paint
And when it was a Zodys you could see the faint scar of the "Britt's" sign on the east side of the building. I don't remember Britt's or what kind of store it was.
Last edited by runchadrun on 05 Jul 2006 00:14, edited 1 time in total.
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

The Zody's here became a Pak-N-Save. I was looking through old footage at work and Zody's closed in 1984 (I want to say November... I remember it was towards the end of 1984). Anyway, I remember going to Pak-N-Save and finding a Zody's cart and wondering what kind of store that was! (We moved to California in 1985, just after they had closed up shop)
Skimolopez

Post by Skimolopez »

Britts was a department store, clothes, furniture, I don't remember much else about it. I believe it was the only one!
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

I read someplace (Thinking it was Wickpedia) that Britts was a chain of stores , but I dont recall ever any. Must have went out in the 70s,
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

Britt's was a unit of Newberry's. The stores were much like larger Newberry units, which were basically small, low-end department stores. I only ever saw a few Britt's & there was no logic to the locations. The same could be said of Newberry's--they that three stores in the Cleveland area. One was in a declining white ethnic neighborhood and probably had been bought from Woolworth or Kresge. Two other stores were in adjacent towns on the fringes of the metro area--one was a former Woolworth in downtown Painesville (an old county seat/market town) and the other was a purpose-built anchor for Great Lakes Mall in Mentor. The only place I've seen that had any real concentration of Newberry stores was LA. I would guess that they had to had a few other metros where they built up large numbers of stores.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Hmm, they had a Newberry's in the Center as well from the beginning. The Newberry's even had a sandwich counter till the store closed in the mid 90's. I find it funny that they would be almost literally next to each other in the same center.
danielh_512
Veteran

Post by danielh_512 »

Newberry's was purchased by the York Discount Corporation (YDC) who owned McCrory, G.C. Murphy, Newberry, TG&Y, and ended up w/Kresge and Jupiter, and then tried Dollar stores (called Dollar Zone) until they called it quits. In the early 90's, they started converting into dollar stores in name only, but before that, were straight 5 & 10/variety stores.

Their former corporate HQ in York, PA is now a Home Depot.
Dave
Veteran

Post by Dave »

danielh_512 wrote:...and then tried Dollar stores (called Dollar Zone)...
For a while, there was a Dollar Zone on Forest Hill Avenue in Richmond in part of a former Colonial Store, and about two miles down the street there was a dollar store branded as a McCrory's in an old Standard Drug. As I recell, they both arrived about the same time and existed together.

The McCrory's dollar store was not one of their old five and dimes. There were only one or two of those in Richmond back in the 1970's-1980's, all in malls, I believe.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

Back on the old message board, I posted about a Sav-On on Lake Ave in Pasadena that is a 2-level store with Sav-On on the first level and an empty upstairs.

In looking at the LottaLiving.com message boards, this building originally had a grocery store on the bottom level and a Zody's on the top level.
greebs
Contributor

Post by greebs »

The old Robert Hall Village store was above, and a Ralphs Supermarket was below. The Robert Hall store closed in 1977 and opened up as a Zodys in 1978. Not sure when the Ralphs store moved (probably when Market Basket closed it's Pasadena store which is where it is now on Lake).
shopnbag

Post by shopnbag »

Daniel wrote:The Zody's here became a Pak-N-Save. I was looking through old footage at work and Zody's closed in 1984 (I want to say November... I remember it was towards the end of 1984). Anyway, I remember going to Pak-N-Save and finding a Zody's cart and wondering what kind of store that was! (We moved to California in 1985, just after they had closed up shop)
I remember shopping at this Zody's at Blackstone and Barstow (I think) in Fresno when I was a kid.
J-Man
Veteran

Gold Circle?

Post by J-Man »

Was there some connection between Zody's and Gold Circle? I seem to remember that some locations changed from one to the other, but I can't remember which was first. If I recall correctly, Gold Circle was part of Ralphs' first foray into northern California, and the stores were always Gold Circle/Ralphs combos. I definitely remember them in the mid-70s in both Sacramento and San Jose. I know that Ralphs eventually abandoned the market altogether, although they've come back, at least to Sacramento, since then.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Gold Circle and Ralphs were both owned by Federated Department Stores in the early 1980s, so it would make sense for the two chains to have opened stores in tandem. When Campeau Corporation purchased Federated in about 1988, some or all of the Gold Circle stores were sold off. The ones in the south went to Target. I'm not sure about the disposition of the rest.
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

I think Target bought a lot of the Zodys stores to expand into Calif and the West...they also bought a bunch of FedMarts when they went under in 1982