Zody's

Moderator: Groceteria

danielh_512
Veteran

Post by danielh_512 »

Gold Circle and Richway were both owned by Federated.

Stores in Atlanta, Charlotte, and Tennessee (may have been in other Southern areas) became Target.

Stores in Cleveland and Pittsburgh went to Hills. I believe Kmart cherrypicked a few as well. I'm not sure about the rest of Ohio and Gold Circle, although they were around Cincinnati and Columbus.
greebs
Contributor

Post by greebs »

Ralphs purchased most of the remainding Zodys stores when they folded in 1986. They were turned into Giant food stores, some of the other stores were sold to Home Base. Also Zodys had been closing some stores over the years which were later turned into Ralphs(Northridge), Pavillions(Garden Grove), and Home Depot (Huntington Beach). Target did not purchase any of the Zody stores,at least not in Southern California, they took over some of the Fedmart and Gemco stores. Most of the Zodys that were bought by Ralphs are now Food 4 Less except for the Ralphs in Redondo Beach. The Home Base stores were later sold to different companys when Home Base folded.
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

Zody's here opened as Pak-N-Save in early 1985. Would Safeway have opened this store, or was the chain under Brentwood's control at this time?
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

The Zodys in Phoenix were taken over by Target (who also bought a bunch of former FedMarts and Gemcos in PHX)
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Daniel wrote:Zody's here opened as Pak-N-Save in early 1985. Would Safeway have opened this store, or was the chain under Brentwood's control at this time?
Safeway.

Here's an snippet of a March 9, 1984 Sacramento Bee article about the growing unprofitability of the then-existing Sacramento division, which stretched from the Oregon border all the way to Visalia (suggesting this was the "Central Valley" division de facto):
Safeway has seven stores in Sacramento and one each in Carmichael, Roseville and Rocklin. Stores in Auburn, Davis and Woodland were not expected to be affected by the cutbacks.

Johnson's comments were in response to queries about reports that Safeway may be pulling out of all its 10 Sacramento area stores and concentrating its effort s in its Liquor Barn and Pak 'N Save stores.

Pak 'N Save, which is owned by Brentway Inc., a subsidiary of Safeway, is scheduled to open discount grocery outlets April 1 in three former Zodys locations in the Sacramento area.

Johnson said he has been told that some Safeway store sites would be for sale after the Pak 'N Save stores are opened. He said grocery retailers have been inquiring about the Safeway sites.

Johnson said Safeway's 81-store Sacramento division, which stretches from Visalia to the Oregon border, has been losing money.

According to a Safeway representative, the chain last year closed Sacramento division stores at Valley Hi Drive and Mack Road and in South Lake Tahoe. Earlier this year, the Safeway store at Florin Road and 24th Street was closed. Safeway representatives in its corporate offices and Sacramento division offices would neither confirm nor deny the rumors about pulling out of Sacramento
Brentway may have been a post-Brentwood merger corporate identity to cover those stores until they were incorporated into the division. Actually, from the March 28, 1984 issue...
The first Pak 'n Save store was opened in December 1981 by Brentwood Markets, a chain founded by Benetti's father and uncle and bought out by Safeway last fall. Safeway changed the name to Brentway Corp.
Here's more on this from that March 28 piece:
The bright yellow-and-red Pak 'n Saves are opening in former Zody's department stores at Arden Way and Watt Avenue, Greenback Lane and San Juan Avenue, and Florin Road and Stockton Boulevard.

The high-volume stores are new in Sacramento. In the Bay Area, three existing stores draw customers from 15 or 20 miles away to spend four or five times more than they would in a regular supermarket, said Al Lujan, division director.

Pak 'n Save advertises the lowest everyday prices anywhere in Sacramento on mostly brand-name goods bought by the truckload directly from the manufacturer to keep costs down.

Our studies indicate shoppers can save 10 to 20 percent overall, Lujan said in a statement already being challenged in advertising by other supermarkets.

The new stores are huge. Two are 84,000 square feet and one is 60,000 square feet. In comparison, the biggest conventional supermarket superstores are 60,000 square feet.
Chris Sampang
TheQuestioner
Contributor

Post by TheQuestioner »

Pak 'n Save advertises the lowest everyday prices anywhere in Sacramento on mostly brand-name goods bought by the truckload directly from the manufacturer to keep costs down.
This sounds a lot different than Pak 'n Save's current operation. I have been to the San Leandro location, and it seems to be Safeway in everything but appearance. It looks like a warehouse store, but aside from a few "permanent" sales, where staples like bananas and milk are slightly cheaper than at Safeway locations, everything else on sale is the same price as at Safeway.

Does Pak 'N Save still acquire their stock in a different manner than a mainline Safeway, or are the purchases and distribution all the same between the two?
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Many of the ZODYS locations became RALPHS: The Giant. They were HUGE Ralphs locations. Did not last too long. Many were then converted to regular Ralphs sites. The Food4Less off the 605 freeway in Southern California (Norwalk area)...was such a location.
javelin
Veteran

Post by javelin »

The Zody's converted to a Pavilions in Garden Grove is now a Wal Mart Supercenter.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

javelin wrote:The Zody's converted to a Pavilions in Garden Grove is now a Wal Mart Supercenter.
Did they extend the store or build a new one? Its really small for a supercenter.
Dean
Veteran

Zodys/Montebello CA

Post by Dean »

When the ZODYS in Montebello CA (Garfield/Wilcox exit off 60) closed, the Albertsons that was next door, moved into ZODYS...as MAX FOODS (owned by Albertsons). There is now an Office Depot in the former Albertsons. Don't remember if something was in there between Albertsons and Office Depot. Comically, when Albertsons acquired LUCKY, the LUCKY across the street became Albertsons. So, Albertsons had two (2) stores across the street from each other. I read recently that Super Valu is wanting to convert the MAX FOODS into LUCKY! Funny how the name continues to swirl around.
Dean
Veteran

ZODYS/Circuit City connection

Post by Dean »

I believe I read one time that Circuit City actually began by leasing space within ZODYS stores.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

I live near the Montebello store.

It was subdivided in 1987 when Circuit City opened on the north end, and Max Foods the other 2/3rds of the store.

Circuit City closed in the mid-late 90's when they moved to a bigger store next door in the former Builders Emporium.

The old Circuit City was empty for years (minus the tower they tore down) and became a 99 cent only store.

Max Foods, apparently, cannot become a Lucky store until they agree to close the Albertsons across the street. With both markets being busy, i dont think they are willing to do this. I would love to see a Stater Brothers in th eformer Lucky store.
javelin
Veteran

Post by javelin »

Jeff wrote:
javelin wrote:The Zody's converted to a Pavilions in Garden Grove is now a Wal Mart Supercenter.
Did they extend the store or build a new one? Its really small for a supercenter.
I haven't been by in a while, but the story was on a local news program. Not much of the exterior was shown in the footage.
J-Man
Veteran

Albertsons-Lucky Montebello

Post by J-Man »

Max Foods, apparently, cannot become a Lucky store until they agree to close the Albertsons across the street. With both markets being busy, i dont think they are willing to do this.
Why would they have to wait until Albertsons closes? They're both owned by SuperValu -- what would be the problem with continuing that situation, but with a different name for Max Foods?
Jeff
Veteran

Re: Albertsons-Lucky Montebello

Post by Jeff »

J-Man wrote:
Max Foods, apparently, cannot become a Lucky store until they agree to close the Albertsons across the street. With both markets being busy, i dont think they are willing to do this.
Why would they have to wait until Albertsons closes? They're both owned by SuperValu -- what would be the problem with continuing that situation, but with a different name for Max Foods?
Apparently a monopoly thing. Its really retarded. Supposedly the Albertsons (former Lucky) was to close months ago.....but never did.