Bell discount stores or Belscot?

Moderator: Groceteria

rrr

Bell discount stores or Belscot?

Post by rrr »

Way back in the 60's in LaCrosse, WI, before the momentous occasion when we got a KMart, we had Bell which later became Belscot. Altho I was very little at the time, I remember mountains of cheap TV-advertised toys the likes of which I hadn't seen at the other stores we had, like Grant's, Jupiter, McCory's, or Woolworth. The only thing like it was Treasure Island, but that was in Winona about 20 miles away. Plus Treasure Island had food, too.

Anybody else remember these? Apparently there were other Belscots in the midwest, not sure about Bell. From an interesting site, http://www.corporateaffiliations.com , it looks like Belscot or its corpse was bought by Albert Lechter, Inc. - could that be today's Lechter's?
danielh_512
Veteran

Post by danielh_512 »

Yesterday's Lechters you mean. Lechters Housewares went out of business in 2003.
terryinokc
Contributor

Post by terryinokc »

Belscot used to have a store in Tulsa. It was pretty much a dump---kind of like a cross between Spartan Atlantic and Gibsons. It lasted until the late 70's, I think.
rrr

oops

Post by rrr »

I did kinda wonder why I didn't see Lechter's around any more. We didn't have one here, so I wouldn't have noticed it closing.

Yeah, I guess Belscot was sort of like a lesser version of Kmart but it seemed pretty special compared to nothing, especially to a pre-teen.

Notable, at least to LaCrustians, is that across the street from Belscot was Valley Farm Supply, later bought out by Farm & Fleet, and sort of in front of the parking lot was a junky lumberyard called Menard's Cashway. "Real" builders didn't go there because they didn't extend credit so it was just for do it yourselfers to buy panelling & carpet squares.

One flop & 2 midwestern successes...
dth1971
Contributor

Post by dth1971 »

In Chicago, Belscot was partnered with Community stores.
Terry K
Contributor

Post by Terry K »

BelScot had some interesting stores. They were in Peoria as late as 1982 or 83.

I recall going into an ex-Belscot in Waukegan in 1993 or so and it had a very 80s looking decor. Granted the building was falling apart, but it was interesting none the less.