Downtown D.C.'s long-gone department stores

Moderator: Groceteria

DanniGirl

Downtown D.C.'s long-gone department stores

Post by DanniGirl »

The following were thriving department stores based in Washington, D.C. Each of them went bankrupt and closed: Lansburgh’s (1973), Kann’s (1975), Garfinckel’s (1990), and Woodward & Lothrop (1995). All four stores were located in downtown D.C.’s shopping district – Lansburgh’s and Kann’s along the 7th Street corridor and Woodies and Garfinckel’s along the F Street corridor.

The Lansburgh Department Store opened in the early 1860’s on 7th Street; however, in the early 1880’s, it moved to the 400 block of 7th Street, N.W. in Washington, D.C.’s shopping district. Lansburgh’s went bankrupt and closed in 1973. I found a link (http://www.thelansburgh.com/history.php), which gives you some history of Lansburgh’s. The building was converted into what is currently “The Lansburgh” luxury apartment building, which opened in 1990; a theater and restaurant opening within that building in 1991. That 7th Street shopping corridor is now a mix of restaurants, retail, and residences.

Kann’s Department Store opened at 7th Street & Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W. in 1893. It closed in 1975, and that location remained vacant until a fire in 1979 destroyed the structure, making demolition necessary. I am not sure what is currently located on that site.

Garfinckel’s was founded in 1905 but moved to its flagship location at 1401 F Street, N.W. in 1930. It remained at that location until going bankrupt and closing in 1990. The property was redeveloped in the late 90’s into a modern office building, and the original façade was restored. That building is now called Hamilton Square and still occupies the corner of 14th & F Streets, N.W.

Woodward & Lothrop (Woodies) opened on F Street 1887, and after years of building acquisition, construction and renovation -- about 40 years worth, its flagship store at 1025 F Street was complete. Except for Rich's Shoe Store at the corner of 10th & F Streets, Woodies occupied the rest of the city block from 10th & 11th Streets and F & G Streets. After years as a premier retailer in the area, Woodies went bankrupt and closed it doors in 1995.
Dave
Veteran

Re: Downtown D.C.'s long-gone department stores

Post by Dave »

DanniGirl wrote:...Woodward & Lothrop (Woodies) opened on F Street 1887...
Woodward & Lothrop actually left Washington for a few years in the late 19th century, moved to Richmond, then moved back.
Dave
Veteran

Re: Downtown D.C.'s long-gone department stores

Post by Dave »

Dave wrote:
DanniGirl wrote:...Woodward & Lothrop (Woodies) opened on F Street 1887...
Woodward & Lothrop actually left Washington for a few years in the late 19th century, moved to Richmond, then moved back.
In particular, they were in the Masonic Temple building at 101 West Broad Street from September 1, 1891 to sometime in 1899.
dewolf

Woodies at 1025 F St Washington DC..

Post by dewolf »

I am looking for some historical information about the old Woodward and Lothrop building that is located in Washington DC at 1025 F Street NW, Washington DC. I would like to know as much history about the design and anything else that might be available to know about the building history and who might have occupied it, since it was built about 1887. Photographs would also be a big plus too. I believe that for a long time Woodies was the occupant but I would also would like to know who occupied the upper floors of the building. Woodies adminstratives offices maybe ? Any additional information you can provide me on the building itself and it's early occupies I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you
S. Hosmer.