Mystery Department Store

Moderator: Groceteria

Daniel
Veteran

Mystery Department Store

Post by Daniel »

I am curious if anyone knows what the original tenant of the Burlington Coat Factory located at 6875 SOUTHLAND DRIVE
MIDDLEBURG HEIGHTS, OH was. It's a 2-story building with a department store looking entrance, but I cuoldn't find any clues as to the original occupant. I was guessing Wards or possibly Service Merchandise, but I don't know if Service Merchandise operated 2 story locations. Sears is in it's orignal 60's location at the other end of the plaza, so I know it wasn't a Sears store.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

Without doing a drive-by, my guess would be Halle's, or possibly Penney's. There also was a Federal's, but that was on Pearl Road.

All probably have had other occupants: Halle closed with the chain after Xmas '81, JC Penney moved to Parmatown some time later, I believe. Federal's opened in the early 60s and closed by the end of the decade. Halle's dated back to the early 50s; my recollection was that the Penney's was a 50s dry goods location that was built out to a more complete dept store some time in the 60s.
Toby Radloff
Contributor

Post by Toby Radloff »

Burlington Coat Factory was a former Halle's. I think a couple of other retailers share that space as well.
Toby Radloff
Contributor

Post by Toby Radloff »

JC Penney had two Southland stores at one time; the original dry-goods store, which is now a Marc's, and a clothing store that opened in the front plaza, probably in the late 1960's/early 1970's. That store was destroyed by a fire in the early 1980's, and after it was rebuilt, is now a Marshall's. I think Petco and Cici's Pizza is in that same building next to the Marshall's. JC Penney maintained a catalog order office at Southland several years after the main store moved to Parmatown.
Toby Radloff
Contributor

Post by Toby Radloff »

Dick's Sporting Goods is in the same building as Burlington Coat Factory at Southland. I think the Federal's was across the street, in a building (which there was a major fire last night) that currently houses B & B Appliance, Value World (a thrift store), Murray's Auto Parts, and Party Place (a party goods store...also where the fire started.) I know there was some large store in that plaza.
GothicPrincess
Contributor

Post by GothicPrincess »

The fire started in the back room of Party Place by some helium tanks. The other stores in that plaza were Murray's Discount Auto Parts, Value World, Sofa Express, and B&B Appliance.

I came across some photos on another forum that I am a part of. If I am permitted I will post a link to this particular message about the fire. Thanks.

Jaime
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

Thanks for clearing up the Halle's mystery. (How do you pronounce that, BTW?) Not being from ere I hadn't thought of them as a tenant. The second story is partially filled by BCF and partially filled by a sporting goods store. The way the store is built into a hillside, the sporting goods store has it's own entrance from the parking lot.
krogerclerk
Veteran

Post by krogerclerk »

Actress Halle Berry is named for the department store, just pronounce it like her name.
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

I was shopping today, and took a picture of the entrance of the former Halle's store. This is the Burlington Coat entrance, sunken from the main parking lot.