Mervyns

Moderator: Groceteria

Jeff
Veteran

Re: Mervyns

Post by Jeff »

None of them have outside signage yet. I'm sure that will change this week.

That store in National City is identical to the one up in Monrovia and a few others. this must have been a popular single story design for them.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Jeff wrote:Eastland has been Westfield Eastland since Westfield went mall crazy in the 90's and Eastland was redone in the mid 90's.
They had purchased Eastland when it was still a mall, and turned it into a power center, something rare for Westfield.

It was just never really branded as a Westfield Center.
Ahh...as you say...until now. I guess I never knew/noticed until the new signage has gone up.

So, has the former PLAZA and Eastland been owned by Westfield for about the same time?

Back to Mervyn's...the Eastland site was built as Mervyn's...correct? Was there anything there prior? Can't remember. I do remember May Co being where TARGET is...yet, can't recall anything prior to Mervyn's. thanks...as always! :)
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Mervyns has always been Mervyns at Eastland.

Right to the location, where Office Depot / Babies R Us and the former Levitz Furniture is, was a 2-story WT Grant store. This was turned into Mall Space on the upper level when Mervyns was built. It was their Arcade section.

In the Office Depot, you can see where the Stairs/Escalators were in the WT Grant (look for the corrugated Metal in an all cement ceiling - same goes for Burlington Coat Factory and May Company's former Escalator Bank).

Also, Westfield has operated both Eastland and The Plaza since day 1.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

The former Milliron's / Broadway / Mervyns in Westchester will be a Kohls. Lets hope the keep the facade untouched.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Again, please let's keep this thread focused on the history of the chain and of specific stores within the chain. Current operational logistics related to the merger, speculation, the future, etc. are off-topic here.

I've pruned the topic, and will leave the deleted posts here for a few days so as not to leave people hanging:
http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtop ... =29&t=2529

Thanks,
David
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Goodbye Mervyns. Last day of operation is Sunday.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Well, I know David this is not history related, in a sense, but it could be and I apologise.

The Morris family has purchsed the Mervyns name in hopes to revive the department store chain and create an online site as well.
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

Jeff wrote: The Morris family has purchsed the Mervyns name in hopes to revive the department store chain and create an online site as well.
Would this become an entity similar to the current Montgomery Ward?
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

submariner wrote:
Jeff wrote: The Morris family has purchsed the Mervyns name in hopes to revive the department store chain and create an online site as well.
From what I have read, they plan to open stores in the markets they did well in.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Jeff wrote:
submariner wrote:
From what I have read, they plan to open stores in the markets they did well in.
Too bad they didn't purchase the sites before the closed!

Will be interesting to see what sites they take...as so many are vacant. They could simply move "back" in...and keep the exterior signage in place.

Apple Valley, Highland, Palm Desert CA locations...all have FOR LEASE signs on the buildings.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

How can we ever forget

OPEN OPEN OPEN ?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqgVtWE_hjg
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

Dean wrote: Apple Valley, Highland, Palm Desert CA locations...all have FOR LEASE signs on the buildings.
So does the Imperial Beach / South San Diego store.
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
javelin
Veteran

Post by javelin »

Dean wrote: Too bad they didn't purchase the sites before the closed!

Will be interesting to see what sites they take...as so many are vacant. They could simply move "back" in...and keep the exterior signage in place.
Oakland Tribune:

"Private equity firms Sun Capital Partners Inc. and Cerberus Capital Management LP and real estate investor Lubert-Adler/Klaff Partners LP had owned the retailer since 2004, having paid $1.2 billion to Target Corp. for it. Cerberus sold its stake in November 2007 for a profit.
The debtor closed all 177 of its stores during its bankruptcy case, meaning the family really only has the Mervyn's name with which to rebuild -- much like the original Mervin nearly 50 years ago. - Jamie Mason"

As I posted before, Cerberus should sound familiar...they're the current owners of Chrysler and Albertson's LLC. They left their partners in debt, and in this market, the stores would sell or a fraction of what were paid for them. Most bankruptcies require sales of multiple buildings...you can't choose which ones you want. So, maybe it's not so bad of an idea. Problem is, who's going to give them the credit they need?

The mervyns.com website is up again as of today as a means to sign up for email updates on what's going on with the company.
Last edited by javelin on 19 Feb 2009 15:07, edited 1 time in total.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

The Fontana CA site is sitting vacant...with a FOR LEASE sign.

Next door...is the former IKEA...turned Kaiser Permanente Medical Group building. Gotta' love the TALL former sign from IKEA.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

We have again strayed really far from history on this topic. If we could edge back in that direction, that would be lovely.

Thanks,
David