In-Store Pharmacies

Moderator: Groceteria

dooneyt63
Contributor

In-Store Pharmacies

Post by dooneyt63 »

What in-store pharmacies are you aware of in defunct discount stores and department stores?
I know that the J.M. Fields operation had pharmacies in many stores, also Gemco/Memco. I believe the Herald Square Macy's once had pharmacies, and IIRC, Sears operated pharmacies in some of their big city stores in the 1940's. Woolworth once owned the Rx Place, but I don't know if they ever had pharmacies in Woolworth or Woolco stores.
Steve Landry
Veteran

Re: In-Store Pharmacies

Post by Steve Landry »

I believe that Shell City Stores in Florida had pharmacies. This chain (in it's last days) was purchased by Fredricks Supermarkets (which was purchased by Food Fair).

Side note: Fredricks had in-store pharmacies as early as the late 40's to early 50's (I have not been able to find a grocery store (supermarket) chain in the USA that had in-store pharmacies that early in the timeline.
The Food Fair Empire
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

The Miller's super market chain in Denver (bought by National Tea in the 50s) often has been cited as the first grocery chain with in-store pharmacies. They were leased departments. I've never seen a year given, but they probably predated National's ownership. National used a mix of instore and separate store pharmacies when they started their own Kare Drugs chain in the mid-60s.
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

Hey Rich,

Do you remember your source for this info. I would love to see if there is info on Fredricks Supermarkets. They only had about 10 stores in South Florida, so there is very little out there on them. Same thing with Shell City Stores, with even fewer stores.

Thanks,

Steve
The Food Fair Empire
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

These would have been overviews of super market pharmacies in trade magazines like Chain Store Age and Progressive Grocer. I don't have specific dates/citations.
dooneyt63
Contributor

Post by dooneyt63 »

Schuster's Department Store in Milwaukee, WI, had a pharmacy in the 1940's. They had an extensive line of Schuster's brand drug products as well. It was Milwaukee where I think I have seen an ad for Sears having a pharmacy.