Grandpa's-St. Louis

Moderator: Groceteria

Ackman

Grandpa's-St. Louis

Post by Ackman »

Anyone remember this chain? I know it lasted up until 1999 when it was acquired by Value City. What other states besides Missouri were they in at the height of their existence, because I thought I saw some stores in Massachusetts, but that could have been some other store.
TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Re: Grandpa's-St. Louis

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ackman wrote:Anyone remember this chain? I know it lasted up until 1999 when it was acquired by Value City. What other states besides Missouri were they in at the height of their existence, because I thought I saw some stores in Massachusetts, but that could have been some other store.
This article says that there were 15, all in Missouri. 14 became Value City, and the other one became a Value City Furniture since it was near an existing Value City. The chain began as Grandpa Pidgeon's and shortened its name in the 1980s.

The only location I know of offhand was an anchor at Mark Twain Mall in St. Charles, a small mall that had Schnuck's as its other anchor. This location didn't last very long as a Value City, and became Bass Pro Shops (!) when the mall was torn down in the early 2000s.