Question About J. C. Penneys in Portland, OR

Moderator: Groceteria

StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Question About J. C. Penneys in Portland, OR

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

Hi,

I have a question as to three J. C. Penney stores in the Portland, OR area. These three are located at Eastport Plaza, Lloyd Center and at Oregon City Shopping Center, which opened in 1960 (the first two) and 1962 (Oregon City) respectively. These three areas had housed the only JCPs in the city prior to the company's 1971 logo replacement to its current one (all the other JCPs, including the Washington Square and Clackamas Town Center locations, had bore the current JCP logo).

The question is: did these three JCP stores retain any of their early and mid '60s (in other words, pre-1971) exterior signage (signage reads: "J. C. PENNEY CO." and a later '60s sign read "Penneys" in a strange font) well into the mid 1980s?

Last glimpse my memory banks stored was that as I was passing by it inside of Eastport Plaza (this JCP was to close down sometime during 1988) in late 1987/early 1988, I'd seen the current 1971 logo on the outside wall (I never saw the JCP building on the outside of Eastport Plaza as I was too young). Also, I remember passing by Lloyd Center in late 1990 and seeing a glimpse of the outside of the JCP building there, and its logo too was updated to the current one.

JCP left Oregon City when it was to acquire a spot at Clackamas Town Center when that mall opened in March of 1981.

Anyone familiar with visiting Eastport Plaza and Lloyd Center between the years 1981-87, please respond to me. Thank you.

~Ben
Last edited by StoreLiker2006 on 10 Apr 2009 15:56, edited 3 times in total.
Super S
Veteran

Re: Question About J. C. Penneys in Portland, OR

Post by Super S »

I can't comment on the other two spots, but I remember my first visit to Lloyd Center in mid-88, which was before the mall was enclosed. At that point the current JCPenney logo was in use. This space is now Sears. On a related note, Meier & Frank, while updating most of their signage, retained an outside sign which simply read M&F right up until it became Macy's.

I never knew JCPenney had a store in Oregon City. Is this the spot currently occupied by Coastal Farm, and previously Emporium?
StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Re: Question About J. C. Penneys in Portland, OR

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

Super S wrote:I can't comment on the other two spots, but I remember my first visit to Lloyd Center in mid-88, which was before the mall was enclosed. At that point the current JCPenney logo was in use. This space is now Sears. On a related note, Meier & Frank, while updating most of their signage, retained an outside sign which simply read M&F right up until it became Macy's.

I never knew JCPenney had a store in Oregon City. Is this the spot currently occupied by Coastal Farm, and previously Emporium?
I believe so, as it seems to be the largest building of all at OCSC.

~Ben