Sky City

Moderator: Groceteria

Blair Bradford

Sky City

Post by Blair Bradford »

While we're playing Do You Remember, what about this chain? I know they were in North Carolina, having been founded in Asheville.
jbarn02
Contributor

Sky City

Post by jbarn02 »

Check http://www.findarticles.com , I think I am really not sure but I think INTERCO liqudated what was left of skycity in early 1991? Interco was sky city's parent company.
jbarn02
Contributor

Sky City Liquidation

Post by jbarn02 »

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... ai_9353038,

This is my sourse webpage:

Interco liquidates Sky City after buyout falls through - Interco Inc., Sky City discount store chain
Discount Store News, Jan 21, 1991

<<Edited by Moderator to remove text of copyrighted article in link.>>

Sorry I did not know.
jbarn02
Contributor

Post by jbarn02 »

Sorry I did not know thanks for sending me the email groceteria.com/david I appreciated it and I did not know you/us could get in trouble, again I am very sorry.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

jbarn02 wrote:Sorry I did not know thanks for sending me the email groceteria.com/david I appreciated it and I did not know you/us could get in trouble, again I am very sorry.
No big thing. It's just something I have to be on the lookout for...
danielh_512
Veteran

Post by danielh_512 »

Sky City also had stores in Tennessee and Virginia. I remember one in Morristown, TN, and a few in the Knoxville and Maryville area.

I remember one vividly in Lincolnton, NC, as well as Mt. Airy, NC.
todd
Contributor

Post by todd »

Man, do the words SKY CITY take me back to childhood! The Anderson, SC was HUGE and always busy. It was a cheap-end discount store. My older brother worked there for a time in the pet department as a teenager and we'd go there to visit him. Outside there was always a singing family or a revival going on the parking lot. No kidding, people would go there in the summer at night and just hang out and listen to whoever was singing or preaching. They had stores all over the upstate SC area and were succressful ...usually in poorer neighborhoods. Our store was as far away from the main retail area as you could be and still be considered in the town at all.
terryinokc
Contributor

Post by terryinokc »

There were two Sky City stores in Augusta, GA back in the 70's and early 80's. The oldest one was downtown on Broad Street--and was junky, dirty, and busy. I believe it was right next to a main stop for the city bus, and it and Woolworths were close to each other.

The other one was out toward the edge of town next to Bi-Lo. (The original Bi-Lo--before Ahold). It was bigger, a little cleaner and carried more merchandise. Their stores kind of reminded me of a lower-class (?) Roses from that part of the country, or like a Gibsons from here in the midwest.
todd
Contributor

Post by todd »

Sky City always seemed so trashy....
Chris322

Post by Chris322 »

There used to be one in Oxford, AL. A tornado hit it around 1983. It and the attached Winn-Dixie were very heavily damaged. I think a few people even died. Sky City never re-opened and Winn-Dixie moved to a new store. The site was re-built as an antique shop, but has since closed.
buckhead
Contributor

Re: Sky City

Post by buckhead »

Athens, Georgia had one on North Avenue, with a Revco sandwiched in between it and a Bi-Lo...built before 1973. It was one of the few stores where I could find Agfa film. Winder, Georgia had one on North Broad Street, in a shopping center that also had an Ingle's and a Revco. The store was pretty much identical in layout to the Athens location. I believe there were also locations in Commerce, Cornelia and maybe Toccoa, Georgia. I'm sure there were other Georgia locations as well. They were definitely a few notches below K-mart, and even below Gibson's and Miller's. Still, they were usually quite busy, even if they were a bit cluttered and dirty at times. Their gaudy signage on the store front could be spotted a mile away.
jimbobga
Contributor

Re: Sky City

Post by jimbobga »

In addition to the Georgia stores already mentioned, there was also a SkyCity store in Elberton; there was an Ingle's in the same shopping center. From what I can tell, they were the only game in town until Wal-Mart opened. The other location I am familiar with almost fits into the "far-flung" locations discussion. It seems like SkyCity stores were mainly located in the piedmont and mountain areas of the southeast. There was a store in Beaufort, SC, which - like the Anderson, SC, store, was way out in the middle of nowhere in an area known as Shell Point. Over 100 miles from the nearest thing one could call a hill, this seemed like an odd location for SkyCity. [If there were other SkyCity locations in the "low country," I am not familiar with them. I was in the Beaufort Store a couple of times, and - in retrospect - it kind of reminds me of what Family Dollar or Dollar General would be if they were put on steroids.
ashley2771

Re:

Post by ashley2771 »

terryinokc wrote:There were two Sky City stores in Augusta, GA back in the 70's and early 80's. The oldest one was downtown on Broad Street--and was junky, dirty, and busy. I believe it was right next to a main stop for the city bus, and it and Woolworths were close to each other.

The other one was out toward the edge of town next to Bi-Lo. (The original Bi-Lo--before Ahold). It was bigger, a little cleaner and carried more merchandise. Their stores kind of reminded me of a lower-class (?) Roses from that part of the country, or like a Gibsons from here in the midwest.
The store next to Bi-Lo was on Wrightsboro Rd, and was the edge of town until the Augusta Mall was completed in 1978. I believe the Bi-Lo had the cows on the roof- I often went there as a child, and we would to Sky City after grocery shopping. There was also a Sky City in Greenwood, SC.