Target Chula Vista... Formerly...?

Moderator: Groceteria

submariner
Veteran

Target Chula Vista... Formerly...?

Post by submariner »

I always wondered about the Target store at 1240 Broadway in Chula Vista (along with the Michaels adjacent) The other day I noticed a barreled roof behind the facade... any ideas what this used to be?

...the tilted awning on the Michaels looks familiar from something, but I can't quite place it though...
Screen shot 2009-11-03 at 6.29.31 AM.jpg
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
Jeff
Veteran

Re: Target Chula Vista... Formerly...?

Post by Jeff »

Chances are its the Rounded Entry of an old White Front Department Store. Great discovery! Probably the only rounded entry left (albeit still hidden in the front). The Michael's chances are was at one point a supermarket. The former Target in Ontario has the same identical design (look at the former Food 4 Less - same design as the Michaels!), as well as the old Target in Covina. I'm sure when FedMart took over the old White Front stores, they remodeled several of them.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

I agree with Jeff on everything. The Food4Less next to the former Ontario Target was previously a Ralphs with the same awning (but red), and it looks like you can see the Ralphs oval hiding behind the Michael's name on that picture.
submariner
Veteran

Post by submariner »

White Front did come to mind after I posted that. And I had a feeling Ralphs would be a good fir for the side, as I'm near positive I've seen a Ralphs in or around Orange County when I lived there with a similar canopy... The other fact is that my TomTom DOES have a listing for a Ralphs somewhere near this streetcorner, though there is a Food4Less across the street (that accepts Pesos!)
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
romleys
Veteran

Post by romleys »

In September 1975 the building was occupied by a Two Guys Discount Store.
Charles H:)
TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Wow, California had Two Guys stores? I didn't know that.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Wow, California had Two Guys stores? I didn't know that.
Two Guys around here apparently didn't last too long....they were mostly former White Front stores then after that FedMart (which was later acquired by Target).