Re: Possible ex-Kroger

Moderator: Groceteria

Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Wal-Mart first made it big in the early 80's, and replaced a lot of stores pretty quick too. They were often co-located with Kroger greenhouses in Houston. These shopping centers were almost certainly built in 1984. I have noticed a pattern: the Wal-Marts relocated/expanded every 6 years! They at least could have waited until their logo changed to the star!

Target did the same thing too. They acquired the Georgia chain Richway in 1988-1989. Understand that these stores had been built in the 60's and 70's. Of course, Target performed extensive renovations. By this time, Target had changed their logo slightly. The white circle in the bullseye was removed. These same stores started to relocate around 1995-1996.
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

Ephrata1966 wrote: I have noticed a pattern: the Wal-Marts relocated/expanded every 6 years! They at least could have waited until their logo changed to the star!
I can tell you pretty authoritatively that Walmart doesn't have any sort of pattern for store replacement. A case in point:

Longview, TX stores 398 and 399 opened on the same day in 1981. Both stores were the same size. 398 became the 12th Supercenter in 1992. 399 didn't become a Supercenter until 2007. Ironically, before 398 became a Supercenter, it was the slower of the two stores. 398 has been there for 18 years, albeit remodeled.

Lafayette, LA stores 531 and 534 were originally Woolco stores. Both Woolco buildings were replaced simultaneously in 1992. 531 was subsequently relocated to a Supercenter, but 534 was expanded into one.

I heard once that Walmart was relocating stores to Supercenters initially when they reached $300/sq.ft. in sales per year. They have since abandoned that.
Scott Greer
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

wnetmacman wrote:
Ephrata1966 wrote: I have noticed a pattern: the Wal-Marts relocated/expanded every 6 years! They at least could have waited until their logo changed to the star!
I can tell you pretty authoritatively that Walmart doesn't have any sort of pattern for store replacement. A case in point:

Longview, TX stores 398 and 399 opened on the same day in 1981. Both stores were the same size. 398 became the 12th Supercenter in 1992. 399 didn't become a Supercenter until 2007. Ironically, before 398 became a Supercenter, it was the slower of the two stores. 398 has been there for 18 years, albeit remodeled.

Lafayette, LA stores 531 and 534 were originally Woolco stores. Both Woolco buildings were replaced simultaneously in 1992. 531 was subsequently relocated to a Supercenter, but 534 was expanded into one.

I heard once that Walmart was relocating stores to Supercenters initially when they reached $300/sq.ft. in sales per year. They have since abandoned that.
Well, the Danville, Kentucky store opened in 1981 and was expanded in 1987, before Supercenters were even introduced (1988). I am not sure when it later relocated. The store is now Big Lots.

There was a Wal-Mart in The Woodlands, Texas that opened in 1984, when they entered the Houston market. This one was paired with a Kroger greenhouse, which recently closed (killed by the new Supercenter!) It relocated in 1990-1991. The location of the second store was horrible in my opinion. They were replacing some stores with Supercenters at that point, but not this one. It eventually was in winter 2007. This store never had the star logo, kind of rare. In its time though, a McDonald's was added, and an Eckerd (now CVS) in the parking lot (relocation of a former Thrift Drug/Eckerd). The original store had been a Bud's Discount City store (Wal-Mart owned) which closed before THAT chain. Around 1996-1997, when the chain closed, this store closed as a Ben Franklin Crafts. It is now Big Lots and part offices for H-E-B. To top it off, this store was practically next to a Kmart from the same period. It also closed in 1994 and is now Hobby Lobby.

There was also a Wal-Mart on FM 1960 that opened in 1987. It had a slight remodel in 1993, and has since relocated directly across the street.