Gaylords

Moderator: Groceteria

Crepehanger

Gaylords

Post by Crepehanger »

Does anybody remember this discount chain? In Columbus, Georgia, they were on Hamilton Road and Lumpkin Road. I remember the Hamilton Road location better, and it is a beauty college today. Does anybody know if there were other locations and were they were headquartered?
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

Their HQ was somewhere in the mid-Atlantic states. They bought out a number of regional discounters, including the Giant Tiger chain in Cleveland, Ohio. I think there might be store listing in the photos on remembering retail (a yahoo group).
Swifty
Contributor

Post by Swifty »

I remember Gaylord's.

Zayre bought 'em.

Then Ames bought Zayre.

Ames closed most of the Zayre locations in the South, including the Columbus ones. (The Columbus locations never became Ames stores.)

Finally, Ames bit it.

I don't remember an exact timeline, but I am positive that the Columbus Gaylord's stores became Zayre stores for awhile.

Incidentally, I can remember when the Hamilton Road location was the Bill Heard Chevrolet parts department. But that was about 10 or so years ago.
Paper or Plastic
Contributor

Gotta goto Gaylords < ba bow bow >

Post by Paper or Plastic »

I still have that tune in my head even though I haven't lived in Columbus since 91. My brother won a 19" TV from there back in the early 80's when he was about 10 years old. He still had it and it was still working up untill just recently.
Pre dating Gaylord's ( in the same building) was Howard BranDiscount ( as they spelled it) and it seems to me my dad told me it was a chain owned by Lowes, the home improvement people.
dooneyt63
Contributor

Gaylord's/Howard's Brandiscount

Post by dooneyt63 »

Howard's Brandiscount, once the Howard Brothers Discount Center chain, was a division of Wickes Lumber in its last days.