Anyone in DC/MD/VA area remember S. Klein's?

Moderator: Groceteria

DanniGirl
Novice Member

Anyone in DC/MD/VA area remember S. Klein's?

Post by DanniGirl » 03 Nov 2006 12:31

Does anyone from the DC Metropolitan area remember a store called S. Klein's? It was a (junior) department store, and the location I remember was at Beltway Plaza -- located on the end where Burlington, Marshall's and Target are currently located.

Does anyone know the history of S. Klein's, especially in the DC area?

MikeRa

Re: Anyone in DC/MD/VA area remember S. Klein's?

Post by MikeRa » 05 Jun 2008 23:33

DanniGirl wrote:Does anyone from the DC Metropolitan area remember a store called S. Klein's? It was a (junior) department store, and the location I remember was at Beltway Plaza -- located on the end where Burlington, Marshall's and Target are currently located.

Does anyone know the history of S. Klein's, especially in the DC area?
I'm not sure of the DC area, but there was a S. Klein in Philadelphia, located at Roosevelt Boulevard and Cottman Avenue. This location closed in 1975, and was replaced by John Wanamaker Department Store. This store is still open today as Macy's (John Wanamaker became Hecht's, then Strawbridge's, and finally Macy's)

umtrr-author

Post by umtrr-author » 09 Jun 2008 17:01

S. Klein's was also in downtown Newark, New Jersey "on the square" (not sure which square). I believe this may have been their flagship store. The store was vacant for a long time after Klein's shut down.

There was a Klein's in Woodbridge, New Jersey as well, across US Route 1 from Woodbridge Center. It became a Service Merchandise.

rich

Post by rich » 11 Jun 2008 14:00

The flagship was on Union Square in NYC, which also was home to the flagship for JW Mays, a store with similar appeal. They were a full-line store with furniture, etc., best known for their low priced clothing. They were a pioneer discounter going back to the 20s or 30s. Newark would have been an early branch. They also had a branch in Alexandria near Landmark.

DanniGirl
Novice Member

Post by DanniGirl » 11 Jun 2008 16:18

Thanks, Rich. Actually, I believe there may have only been two S. Klein stores in the D.C. area -- Alexandria, VA and Greenbelt, MD.

bobsjers

Post by bobsjers » 14 Aug 2014 20:16

If you look online, there are some interesting stories behind S. Klein. I remember the one in Alexandria, Virginia. The last reminder of the store, a 6 story neon sign was torn down last year in Newark NJ.

umtrr-author

Post by umtrr-author » 25 Aug 2014 11:12

I did... and I see the (now former) sign in Newark, New Jersey.

Wikipedia notes that "On The Square" refers to "Square Deals" not necessarily the store's location (i.e. the anchor store in Union Square in New York, you're right about that, Rich).