Barker's Department Stores - NYC Metro

Moderator: Groceteria

Transit Road
Contributor

Barker's Department Stores - NYC Metro

Post by Transit Road »

Barker's was similar to K-Mart, Ames, ShopKo, Caldor, and other discouint department stores, but seemed to be focused on the NYC Metro area.

Does anyone recall this store?
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

There were Barker's stores Upstate as well. I know for sure there was one in the Pyramid Mall in Johnstown because we shopped there all the time. And I think they also had stores in Oneonta and perhaps Saratoga although I'm not exactly sure. For the Johnstown store specifically, they took over the space occupied by White-Modell which opened when the mall did in late summer '72 and they were gone by I'd say mid '74 or so. Barker's remained there until either late '80 or early '81 when I think King's Department Stores bought them because I remember the store then being renamed King's. They lasted just a short time and closed up shop in summer '82. Jamesway then opened there about a year later and remained there until the chain closed. Today the space houses a movie theater, a dollar store and a Peebles department store.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

Barkers' parent Franklin Stores apparently acquired King's and used the King's name for all of the stores. According to another site, Barker's had stores in:New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Jersey and Pennsylvania as well as the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Texas and New Orleans. Source: http://www.wtv-zone.com/dpjohnson/60sdi ... page2.html
BillyGr
Veteran

Post by BillyGr »

There was one in Hudson (or Greenport actually, just outside the city)NY also - this one also became Kings and later Ames, and remained an Ames until they shut the chain down.
Now, part is Peebles, part is a Yankee $1 store and part is still empty (including an auto center, which dates back to Barkers, and was later run independently when it was Ames).