Circuit City

Moderator: Groceteria

submariner
Veteran

Circuit City to Liquidate remaining 500 stores.

Post by submariner »

Well, another retailer bites the dust.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/busines ... tores.html
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
Dean
Veteran

Re: Circuit City to Liquidate remaining 500 stores.

Post by Dean »

The Palm Desert CA store was built...and never opened.

It is on Monterey Avenue. The sign is on the street...and the brand new store is simply sitting there vacant.
Last edited by Dean on 22 Jan 2011 10:46, edited 1 time in total.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

Just a reminder to keep the history of the chain as the topic of conversation.

Here in Socal, many of the first Circuit City stores were former Akron stores. The Pasadena, West LA (on Sepulveda and National, now closed) and Granada Hills stores come to mind as former Akrons. The Granada Hills store, which is now a Korean church but still looks like a Circuity City with the red "plug" was a Boys Market before it was an Akron. The Pasadena store on Rosemead between Colorado and the 210 has the original 3-sided tall Akron sign next to the freeway. I had to go into that store a couple months ago and it was the first time I had been in there since I was a kid and it was an Akron.

The Van Nuys store is a former A&P and was one of the larger and newer A&P stores that was built before they sold out to Shopping Bag. David has a picture of it at http://www.groceteria.com/ap/gallery/pages/Image56.html
lvkewlkid
Veteran

Post by lvkewlkid »

the one at the Boulevard Mall in Las Vegas was a relocation, it originally was an Ulta, Linens N Things, and The Good Guys and before that, I believe it was a movie theater or the former site of a movie theater...it relocated from the Eastern and Tropicana location, which is now being developed into a Fresh and Easy and has the "plug", which originally was an Albertsons...When the one at the Boulevard Mall opened about a year or 2 ago, the Best Buy across the street put up a banner saying that they served the area for 10 years or something like that...Circuit City never put up a banner, but I believe they were in Las Vegas for a lot longer than 10 years, especially since there Eastern/Tropicana location has been there for a long time, or so I have been told...
Jeff
Veteran

Re: Circuit City

Post by Jeff »

The Montebello Circuit City originally opened up in part of the former Zodys store in 1987, with the former Grocery Warehouse/Max Foods/current Albertsons in the other half. This is now a 99 cent store.
Around the late 90's, it moved into a larger spot that formally was an Ole's home center, then a Builders Emporium. The Circuit City took over the spot once BE closed. According to the LA Times, this store and the Hollywood store were the two busiest in the chain on Saturday for the first day of the sale.

The former Circuit City in Puente Hills was the former upper level of JCPenney in the Puente Hills Mall. It relocated from a smaller stand-alone store that was next to the Best Buy on Gale Ave. This spot closed around the early 2000's and was demolished for a Honda dealer.

As many people remember, Zodys here in SoCal originally had Circuit City electronics departments.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Read the LA Times article this weekend as well. Enjoyed the "plug" store pix.

Also, enjoyed the store advertisement SALE insert!

Obviously the ads are prepared far in advance. The closures were announced so quickly...that the ads had already gone out.
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

I am not surprised Circuit City is closing. They were in Portland for around ten years or so. One location always struck me as odd, that being the location on 102nd Ave. in Portland's Gateway area. It is not the most visible one, and not in an area of electronics retailers. I never understood why the built a store in that spot.
Dave
Veteran

Post by Dave »

Since Circuit City is headquartered here, I've gotten to know a lot of CC people over the years - in fact, my wife worked fror Circuit City at one time. My family's experience with them goes all the way back to the Wards TV days.

Circuit City still owns or leases/subleases a lot of property, including an awful lot of the old former store locations, including some in some pretty funky areas.

I've got to get you folks some pictures of the two old Ward's Loading Dock locations in Richmond. They were the forerunner of the entire Circuit City concept. I believe one of the old Loading Dock signs is still around.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Also, pix of their funky/stylish red blazers would be quite a hoot!
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Found the following commercials/training video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlcW4-XDztk

"Welcome to the Circuit City...where service is state of the art."

Watch "the plug" fly in!
Rob_L
Contributor

Post by Rob_L »

But....
Systemax, Inc... Parent company of Tiger Direct, and Circuit City (these days, anyways..) now owns CircuitCity.com
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

The old plug style Circuit City in Montebello is starting construction this week for a new tenant to move in. This store started originally as an OLE'S, then later Builders Emporium store. This will be the first Circuit City store that I know that will be reconfiured to a Best Buy store.
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

Systemax, Inc... Parent company of Tiger Direct, and Circuit City (these days, anyways..) now owns CircuitCity.com
Systemax also bought CompUSA out of bankruptcy. Several CompUSA stores reopened as the new CompUSA, which was more along the lines of a Tiger Direct store. None of the Circuit City stores were purchased, only the name.
Scott Greer
steps
Veteran

Circuit City Culver City becoming a Sprouts Farmers Market

Post by steps »

The former Curcuit City store on the corner of Slauson/Sepulveda is becoming a Sprouts Farmers Market according to the sign hanging out of front of the building. Seems this is a small chain with a few stores spread across about 5 states states.

http://sprouts.com/home.php
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

luckysaver wrote:Their old warehouse/divisional office in City of Industry, CA (Lemon Ave south of Valley Blvd) was had a plug at the front. They recently moved to another warehouse next door and sold the plug building.

luckysaver
Site STILL has the signage on the street! Will have to look @ the building next time!