Chveron Stations Operating as Standard Oil

Moderator: Groceteria

jamcool
Veteran

Re: Chveron Stations Operating as Standard Oil

Post by jamcool »

There was a rather confusing "system" of signage of Socal/Chevron stations...dealing with the rectangular "fin" sign that included the chevron shield...

Standard owned/operated stations used a blue fin with STANDARD and "Standard station" on the cap over the chevron.

Standard owned stations that were leased to dealers used a red fin with STANDARD and Chevron on the cap.

Dealers who owned their own stations used a red fin with the dealers name and the Chevron shield.

Chevron stations (company or dealer owned) in the Rocky Mountains and the East Coast used a blue fin with CHEVRON and a blue Chevron cap over the shield.

Standard of Texas (company or dealer owned) used a blue fin with STANDARD and a blue cap with Chevron over the shield.

No wonder in 1970 they adopted the 2-color Chevron/Standard emblem and unified color scheme
buckhead
Contributor

Post by buckhead »

Thanks for providing some insight into the color codes of the SOCAL/Chevron signs.
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Post by Brian Lutz »

Another interesting find: A 1950s Chevron commercial that makes reference to a Calso station:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfU8MCUQBdU
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Post by Brian Lutz »

And another find from spending some time in the microfilm at the library today: A 1969 ad for one of the Chevron stations in Bellevue (I believe this was a company owned/leased station with a red "STANDARD" sign with a Chevron logo on it.)

The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.
sgg
Contributor

Post by sgg »

Noticed that nobody mentioned this yet, I seem to recall seeing Amoco stations with Standard in the middle also, any info on that?
J-Man
Veteran

Post by J-Man »

Amoco was originally Standard Oil Co. of Indiana.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_oil

By the way, on that same Wikipedia page, there's a picture of the Standard station in Las Vegas I referred to upthread.
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

Were any SOHIO (Standard Oil Of Ohio) stations signed as Standard instead of Sohio?
Gary21228
Contributor

Post by Gary21228 »

Super S wrote:Were any SOHIO (Standard Oil Of Ohio) stations signed as Standard instead of Sohio?
None that I ever saw. SOHIO usually branded their stations/dealers as "BORON" outside of Ohio.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

Gary21228 wrote:
Super S wrote:Were any SOHIO (Standard Oil Of Ohio) stations signed as Standard instead of Sohio?
None that I ever saw. SOHIO usually branded their stations/dealers as "BORON" outside of Ohio.
SOHIO was the brand but stations had the words "Standard Oil" emblazoned on the front.
ajc47

Post by ajc47 »

^I remember that. They were taken over by BP around 1990 or so.
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

rich wrote:
Gary21228 wrote:
SOHIO was the brand but stations had the words "Standard Oil" emblazoned on the front.
Maybe this is what I was thinking of...the reason I asked is because I thought I remembered someone besides Chevron and Amoco using the full word "Standard" but was not sure if it was Sohio. But now that i think about it I do remember some Sohio stations as late as the early 80s having that signage.
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

As of right now, Chevron is the only company still asserting its Standard obligations in the US. Mobil stopped in the 50's when they switched from Socony to Mobil. Exxon stopped in 1973 when they switched all their brands (Enco, Esso, et. al.) to Exxon and renamed the company, though they still market as Esso outside the US. Standard of Indiana stopped in the mid 70's when they switched to being Amoco Corporation, though many, many dealers in the Standard of Indiana area kept their Standard signs up until being forced to switch to BP. Sohio made the change to BP in 1989-1990. Conoco and a few others never marketed as Standard.

Chevron must still feel like they have something to gain by it, though since the extreme vast majority of their stations are now Chevron, it would be tough to prove anything to me. To me, it makes them look like a small child keeping a toy away from his friends.

I also find it interesting that the six most prominent Standards (NJ, NY, CA, KY, OH, IN) have now become three combined companies (Exxon Mobil, Chevron, and BP). It's similar to what has happened with the reforming of AT&T.
Scott Greer
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

Exxon stills sells some industrial products (lubes, fuels) under the "Humble" and "Esso" brands

As does Mobil with the "Vacuum" and "Gargoyle" names.