Downey McDonald's, Norms in Norwalk?

Moderator: Groceteria

submariner
Veteran

Downey McDonald's, Norms in Norwalk?

Post by submariner »

After a hastily scheduled stop in the Southern California area (had 7 hours between flights) I took a drive and picked up a few photos to share... One of the McDonald's in Downey, anothe of a Norm's in Norwalk... Is this related to the Norm's chain? this location was boarded up though I couldn't tell for how long...
Attachments
IMG_0122.JPG
IMG_0121.JPG
IMG_0118.JPG
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
Jeff
Veteran

Re: Downey McDonald's, Norms in Norwalk?

Post by Jeff »

No relation to the Norm's Restarurants.

This Norm's is a small chain of fast food burger joints. I frequent one in Whittier on Whittier Bl.
Oddly enough, this particular Norm's on Studebaker and Firestone, at one point was a Van De Kamps restaurant. Only one of these locations, now a Denny's in Arcadia, has the trademark Windmill arms still on it. Here's a photo of it:

http://picasaweb.google.com/fcorrado/Ch ... 0494978098

I'll tell you this, that restaurant has been closed for a while, at least since 2007. I remember it being shut down a lot for health code violations.
Dean
Veteran

Re: Downey McDonald's, Norms in Norwalk?

Post by Dean »

Noticed in the "area attractions" section of the phone book...that the Downey McDonald's is listed:

World's Oldest McDonald's
Historic Speedee McDonald's
10207 Lakewood Boulevard/Florence Avenue
Downey
562 622 9248

"Take a step back in time and visit this restaurant, built in the 50s, and reopened with walk-up windows and outdoor seating, where the employees wear 50s style uniforms and the original menu is also served. A museum adjoins the facility."