NORMS acquired Steak Corral site in West Covina

Moderator: Groceteria

luckysaver
Veteran

NORMS acquired Steak Corral site in West Covina

Post by luckysaver »

The 1970's era Steak Corral (I don't know how many other locations were in SoCal) on Azusa and Rowland in West Covina went out of business within the last couple of months. The restaurant chain NORMS is renovating it to be their newest location but maintaining the building's original octagonal architecture.

luckysaver
Jeff
Veteran

Re: NORMS acquired Steak Corral site in West Covina

Post by Jeff »

No.....there is another.

There is/was/i dont know if it is still there or not/ location in Whittier, on Washington Blvd, close to the Pico Rivera Border.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Oh, and they were aptly named "STEAK CORRAL WESTAURANTS"
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Noticed ad in the paper...that the NORMS in San Gabriel is closing after 38yrs...and to "visit our new location in West Covina".

The West Covina site is to open October.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Its sad. I went to the Norms San Gabriel about a month ago at dinner. It was still very busy and I had to wait for a table.
I'm sure due to the large influx of Asian Americans down Valley Blvd, the change in demo was too much for basically the last non-asian restaurant down Valley from New Ave to Rosemead Blvd.

We lost so many stores on that stretch over the years:
Vons
Target
Ralphs
Norms
McDonalds
Del Taco
Blockbuster
to name a few....

Even gas stations are gone.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

Dean wrote:Noticed ad in the paper...that the NORMS in San Gabriel is closing after 38yrs...and to "visit our new location in West Covina". .
The San Gabriel location was the Norms of my youth. My mom and i would go there weekly and we knew the host--a very friendly South American man--and he always put us at the same table.

In the 80's they built a drive-thru restaurant in the part of the parking lot right on the corner of Valley and Del Mar called Phil's Fast and Friendly (it might have been Phast and Phriendly). It was similar to In-N-Out in that there were dual driveways and windows. My recollection is that their big thing was fried chicken. It lasted maybe 2 years and then was torn down and replaced with the parking lot again.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

There are pictures of the San Gabriel location over at the Lotta Living board:
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=12984
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Steak Corral is open and thriving in Santa Fe Springs/Whittier.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

And this norms is now open. It looks like they used the sign from San Gabriel.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

Jeff wrote:And this norms is now open. It looks like they used the sign from San Gabriel.
The sign with the triangles was the standard Norms sign. This is from the Lotta Living thread:
The sign was about 25% functional on closing night and the executive I talked to there said that their sign company advised against moving it as it was "so rusty and damaged it would collapse." I told her about much worse signs being restored and she said she would look into it. I don't think their code exemption in Covina allows for one quite this large though.
J-Man
Veteran

Post by J-Man »

I've tried going to the new West Covina location three times since it opened and all three times there were lines of people outside the door waiting to get in. They even had to set up plastic chairs outdoors to accommodate the overflow. I guess it's the "new kid in town" for now; I'm sure this won't last.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

J-Man wrote:I've tried going to the new West Covina location three times since it opened and all three times there were lines of people outside the door waiting to get in. They even had to set up plastic chairs outdoors to accommodate the overflow. I guess it's the "new kid in town" for now; I'm sure this won't last.
And the fact it is the only one in the San Gabriel Valley.

Like I previously mentioned, the San Gabriel location, about 2 weeks prior to closing, I went for dinner only to have to wait 20 minutes. I decided not to go and went to Twoheys. Mind you, this was a weeknight.