McDonaldland Parks adjacent to McDonalds restaurants

Moderator: Groceteria

Super S
Veteran

McDonaldland Parks adjacent to McDonalds restaurants

Post by Super S »

In the 1980s in Boise, Idaho, behind the McDonald's on Orchard Street, was a small park, and I remember a sign that read "Welcome to Boise's McDonaldland Park". On my visit in August, it looked like it was an overgrown field and was fenced off. What I was curious about is if McDonald's was responsible for the care and upkeep, or if it was a joint venture between them and local parks departments. I don't know if these "parks" were common at all, but I have not seen another in recent times. Worth noting is that this location, I believe, is one of the oldest, if not the oldest, in Boise.
Super S
Veteran

Re: McDonaldland Parks adjacent to McDonalds restaurants

Post by Super S »

I haven't found a whole lot of information so far, and am wondering if this was a predecessor to the "playlands" of today. Worth noting though is that this location did have both the park and a playland out front for a while. I actually did not look to see if this one still had the playland in front on my visit though.
TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Super S wrote:I haven't found a whole lot of information so far, and am wondering if this was a predecessor to the "playlands" of today. Worth noting though is that this location did have both the park and a playland out front for a while. I actually did not look to see if this one still had the playland in front on my visit though.
According to a recent bird's-eye on Bing, the park is still abandoned in the back, and the playplace still present in front. Honestly, I've never heard of this before; closest I remember is the Standish, Michigan location, which used to have a "McDog Run" on the drive-thru side. This is now an expansion of the parking lot.
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

I planned to stop there for lunch but on that day it was extremely busy and I could not find a parking spot, and the drive-thru was backed up, so I did not even get out of my truck, going elsewhere to eat. That satellite picture shows what at least used to be the entry point for the "park" according to the parking lot markings.
tkaye
Veteran

Post by tkaye »

Some maps show what appears to be a small stream on that part of the property. My guess is that it was done to appease the local zoning board.