Speedee McDonald's (Big Golden Arches) in Portland, OR

Moderator: Groceteria

StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Speedee McDonald's (Big Golden Arches) in Portland, OR

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

Hi,

Exactly how many of the Speedee-era McDonald's restaurants - or to be more precise, the locations with the big, unconnected Golden Arches - were there in Portland, OR? According to recollections from my mother, she hints the location at 9100 S.E. Powell Blvd. was the first one in the city, having opened circa 1963. What I really mean is the big golden arches that were initially used not to advertise these early Mickey-D's, but rather to hold up the building.

I would think the Speedee era already ended by the time Mickey-D's came to Portland.

So, I'd like to ask: Exactly how many other Mickey-D's in the Portland area (spanning the entire L.B.J. presidential era that is 1963-69; in late 1968 McDonald's switched to its current logo) had the big unconnected Golden Arches on the building? And of this total, how many of those still in existence were expanded to include drive-throughs in the 1970s and 1980s? The original 92nd & Powell location I'd mentioned before had closed down sometime circa 1980 when an all-new Mickey-D's was built right behind the original '60s building.

Thank you,

Ben
Last edited by StoreLiker2006 on 07 Dec 2009 00:31, edited 1 time in total.
tesg
Veteran

Re: Speedee McDonald's (Big Golden Arches) in Portland, OR

Post by tesg »

The McDonald's at 9475 Beaverton-Hillsdale Hwy in Beaverton was an original McDonald's red-and-white sloped roof structure with the dual arch handlebars.

I believe the current odd-shaped mansard McD's at that site was simply built around it. I don't think they actually demolished the original structure.