Der Wienerschnitzel

Moderator: Groceteria

TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Der Wienerschnitzel

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Did Der Wienerschnitzel ever actually go into Michigan, or elsewhere in the Midwest? I found one 1968 listing saying that the chain had plans for two stores in Saginaw in 1968, and this repair shop in Lansing and this title loans center in Bloomington, IL both look like former Wienerschnitzels, but I'm not certain.
Jeff
Veteran

Re: Der Wienerschnitzel

Post by Jeff »

Those buildings look more like Tastee Freeze buildings than Der Wienerschnitzel. DW buildings up until the 70's didn't have a dining room area, just a place to order and the drive thru in the center of the store. Unless they completely had different designs for out of state stores.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

The title loan center is almost certainly a former Heap Big Beef, a very short-lived roast beef chain of the late 1960s and early 1970s that operated coast to coast (although not very successfully, it would appear). The side entrances are a dead giveaway.
tesg
Veteran

Post by tesg »

Wienerschnitzel had a lonely A-frame operating in Champaign, IL, until just this year.

The company tried to find a new franchisee to take it over to no avail.

It wasn't a drive-through A-frame with the hole. The drive-thru was on the side of the building.

They had indoor seating too, which is rare on the A-frames I've encountered.
TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Hmm. I didn't know Tastee-Freez used A-frames too. I have been told that there was one on Cedar St., but I don't know where exactly it was.