Burger King Architecture and Signage, 1969-1974

Moderator: Groceteria

StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Burger King Architecture and Signage, 1969-1974

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

Hi,

Here is a 1974 Burger King ad. Watching the first few seconds of this clip, you will see not only the old BK "Bun Halves" (v1.0) logo, but also the legendary header "Home of the WHOPPER" below that (in red text on white banner).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4YAcsAe6UI

The storefront appears to be colored brown bordering on red, and the signage on the storefront reads "BURGER KING - Home of the WHOPPER" with the first three words (those emphasised not all in caps) of the byline placed on two lines (the first word is placed above the next two) and WHOPPER to the right of that. This leads me to believe that the pure browns didn't show up on the BK storefront roofs until about 1975, when the byline on the storefront was changed so that all four words of it are on one line. So, does anyone familiar with BK really agree with me about all of this?

I am led to believe this kind of signage (as seen in the video the link takes you to) didn't last long and was updated with the 1975-85 era signage (after circa 1985, the byline "Home of the WHOPPER" was removed).

Thank you,

Ben
submariner
Veteran

Re: Burger King Architecture and Signage, 1969-1974

Post by submariner »

That commercial is righteously funky!

It appears the lower trim is the same color as the lighted upper trim.

I also seem to remember this logo with red letters, was that when HOTW was all on one line, or just a variation?
==========
Aaron
"his foxtail-wielding skills are unparalleled, dust bunnies fear his name"
StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Re: Burger King Architecture and Signage, 1969-1974

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

submariner wrote:That commercial is righteously funky!

It appears the lower trim is the same color as the lighted upper trim.

I also seem to remember this logo with red letters, was that when HOTW was all on one line, or just a variation?
It was likely a variation. On BK's official website, there is a timeline with some vintage pictures. By the time they adopted the first Bun Halves logo in 1969, the building actually resembles the one seen in the ad, and were no longer using the 1950s architecture, in which one location in Naperville, IL still assumes. But they did go back to the one-line HOTW motif shortly after the ad aired, and remained that way up to about 1985.

~Ben