LA Cafeterias

Moderator: Groceteria

Dean
Veteran

Re: LA Cafeterias

Post by Dean »

luckysaver wrote:Where exactly was the Greenery in West Covina and when did it operate?

luckysaver

ps
The Westfield Shoppingtown once had a Clifton's on the Sears side facing the 10 Freeway - it was the small building attached to the Sears building (former Broadway).
Yup. That would be the same location at the West Covina Fashion Plaza, turned The Plaza at West Covina, turned The Westfield Shoppingtown West Covina.

Somehow I got on their mailing list at one time. No clue how. I was living about an hour away...and they continually mailed me stuff wanting me to host events at this location!
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

I believe the Cliftons West Covina was the Clifton Greenery. More on its history and architecture here, courtesy of the University of Washington:

https://digital.lib.washington.edu/php/ ... reid=11395

The main cafeteria in Downtown LA has a long history. KCET/PBS host Huell Howser did a "Visiting" special on this branch, which is still in business today (and also on the web:

http://www.cliftonscafeteria.com/

luckysaver

ps
Last week, Clifton's Downtown (aka Brookdale) was featured in the LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la ... 4348.story
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

The former Cliftons Greenery in West Covina is now part of the Sears store next door. They keep it stocked with Appliances and such.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

In the Los Angeles Times today:

Historic Clifton's struggles to sustain itself

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me ... ?track=rss

Will the last site be able to survive?

Nice picture of site listed.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Jeff wrote:The former Cliftons Greenery in West Covina is now part of the Sears store next door. They keep it stocked with Appliances and such.
Hey Jeff~

Is the building still there?

While whizzing by on the 10 last week...I looked...and couldn't see the old Greenery building. Did I miss it?!

Wild to see the transformation/reconfiguration of the old Bullock's site to become the new Best Buy!

thanks dude!
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Clifton's Brookdale (downtown LA) was still very much alive as of the week before Christmas, when I met Santa Claus there.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Dean wrote:
Jeff wrote:The former Cliftons Greenery in West Covina is now part of the Sears store next door. They keep it stocked with Appliances and such.
Hey Jeff~

While whizzing by on the 10 last week...I looked...and couldn't see the old Greenery building. Did I miss it?!

Wild to see the transformation/reconfiguration of the old Bullock's site to become the new Best Buy!

Thanks dude!
It was torn down at the beginning of summer for parking for the Sears Store. They are adding a new "wing" of the mall where the former Sport Authority and Tower were, with a Gym, supermarket, and Nordstrom Rack (first ever I think in an actual mall).
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Jeff wrote:
Dean wrote:
Hey Jeff~

Thanks dude!
It was torn down at the beginning of summer for parking for the Sears Store. They are adding a new "wing" of the mall where the former Sport Authority and Tower were, with a Gym, supermarket, and Nordstrom Rack (first ever I think in an actual mall).
thanks! I knew I didn't see it...but just in case I missed it!

Wow...the site is really becoming quite a POWER CENTER. Quite a change from the old Fashion Plaza!