Mystery store: 154 Talbot St W, Aylmer, ON

All things Canadian.

Moderator: Groceteria

Andrew T.

Mystery store: 154 Talbot St W, Aylmer, ON

Post by Andrew T. » 25 Aug 2018 21:34

Yet another mystery from today's weekend drive:
aylmer.jpg
This building is a smidgen larger than the one in Ingersoll. The entrance configuration looks supermarket-like, but there's no guarantee that this started out as a supermarket: It could have been built as a variety store or hardware store instead.

There sure are a lot of snazzy details, though: The peaked roof, the integral tower sign, the textured pattern of protruding ridges on the side wall. It almost reminds me of the sort of thing that Steinberg would have built in the '60s (and Steinberg did use signs like these at least once)...but I have no idea if they operated in stores or towns this small.
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull

Andrew T.

Re: Mystery store: 154 Talbot St W, Aylmer, ON

Post by Andrew T. » 25 Aug 2018 23:18

FYI, there are references lingering in the back corners of the web to a "Joe's No Frills" store once existing at this address.

Could this store have been Loblaws originally? It scarcely looks like anything that company would have built. Zehrs? The plot thickens...
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull

TW-Upstate NY

Post by TW-Upstate NY » 26 Aug 2018 10:18

Did Safeway ever build marinas in Canada? Looks like it could possibly be one.

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria » 26 Aug 2018 11:51

TW-Upstate NY wrote:
26 Aug 2018 10:18
Did Safeway ever build marinas in Canada? Looks like it could possibly be one.
The marina era was over by the time Safeway made its relatively brief appearance in Southern Ontario, but the profile of this one doesn't really fit anyway (asymmetrical front, side entrance, etc.). Too small (and rural) for Steinberg.

Zehrs is probably as good a bet as any, or even more likely an independent or franchise. I am betting it was indeed a supermarket, though.

Andrew T.

Post by Andrew T. » 31 Aug 2018 21:49

I'll file it under "probable former independent grocer." There used to be a lot more of those in southern Ontario than there are now.
Andrew Turnbull