TheStranger
Veteran

Surrey, BC: closing Safeway with odd decor

Post by TheStranger »

Chris Sampang
lvkewlkid
Veteran

Post by lvkewlkid »

that looks like a modified old 90's VONS prototype like Stephanie/Sunset or the former VONS, now La Bonita at Eastern and Desert Inn in Henderson and Las Vegas, respectively
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

My guess is that it was a "hybrid" store done between two decor packages, not unlike the Chestnut Avenue store is South San Francisco.

The design is kind of a ringer Safeway's "pastel" (my own term) package from about 1994-1999, which was applied to most Vons locations a few years later, in what looked like an attempt to get rid of excess building materials. This "pastel" package directly followed the "marketplace" package.

The only variations seem to be the font, the neon graphics, and the gabled (rather than rounded) trim. It's almost a hybrid between the marketplace package and the newer look, which suggests this may have been one of the earlier ones to receive the "pastel" treatment, before they'd nailed down all the elements. That font (I forget the name) was particularly popular in the early 1990s, which convinces me even more.