Earliest Albertson's in S.F. Bay Area?

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Jason B.
Veteran

Earliest Albertson's in S.F. Bay Area?

Post by Jason B. »

I recently flipped through a telephone book for Southern Alameda County from the late 1960s. It had a listing for an Albertson's store at 39177 State Street in Fremont. Was that Albertson's the first in the San Francisco Bay Area? I have no idea if the building was constructed for Albertson's or if the building is currently standing.

Another early Albertson's was in Dublin at the Mervyn's shopping center. I believe that store opened circa 1972. It was a Ralphs from 1999 to the early 2000s. That location is now a 99 Ranch Market.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Earliest Albertson's in S.F. Bay Area?

Post by Groceteria »

The store at 3925 Alemany in San Francisco (now demolished) also dates from before 1970. This one became a Lucky around 1980, and then became an Albertsons again in 1999 after the merger.

justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtop ... %2Fpayless
The Alemany Albertsons/Payless combo opened in 1968, and the Payless was (I think) the largest at the time. Fremont's Albertsons/Payless was a new build, and opened January 1967. This was a Payless as of 1995, but is now demolished. Though most early northern california Albertson's were Albertson's/Payless combos, There was also a freestanding Albertson's at 1530 Hamilton ave. in San Jose from the 1960s. This became a Safeway and the building lasted until the late 1990s, when it was razed for a new Safeway. One of the earliest Albertson's/Payless combos in the area was at 5285 Prospect Rd. in San Jose, which opened September 1964. I'm not sure if the Albertson's and the Payless were seperate or integrated, or shared a common lobby, or what. There was a Payless there as of 1995. Now, the building is occupied by Longs Drugs and Smart and Final. The facade was redone at some point, but each of the stores has a Marina-like arched ceiling still (there are two arched ceilings-one on each side of the building). The Modesto ABS/Payless combo at 2205/2401 Mchenry ave. in Modesto opened 1969, now housing Clothes Avenue and Rite Aid. These have gabled ceilings.
romleys
Veteran

Post by romleys »

The Modesto Albertsons opened in 1968 and the Payless didn't come until late 1969.
Coincidence that the two were in the same shopping center?
Charles H:)
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

romleys wrote:The Modesto Albertsons opened in 1968 and the Payless didn't come until late 1969.
Coincidence that the two were in the same shopping center?
You're right, the Albertson's did actually open first, in December 1966. The newspaper article didn't say anything like "soon to be joined by Payless" or anything, so maybe Payless Drug's June 1969 opening was irrelevant to the Albertson's.