Milpitas, Calif.-777 E. Capitol Ave.-Northwood Plaza

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Jason B.
Veteran

Milpitas, Calif.-777 E. Capitol Ave.-Northwood Plaza

Post by Jason B. »

On July 12th, I passed the "Lucky 7 Super Market" (Asian theme) at Northwood Plaza shopping center at 777 East Capitol Avenue in Milpitas, Calif. It has a gable roof reminiscent of a late 1950s or 1960s Safeway or Lucky. Does anyone know if this building was once a chain supermarket?

It's possible that the street address was different when it was originally built. The store now has a Milpitas address, but it's possible that it was in unincorporated Santa Clara County when it was constructed and therefore may have had a different street number. It is located very close to the San Jose city limits.

A few years ago the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA) opened the Tasman East light rail line in the median of Capitol Avenue in front of the Northwood Plaza shopping center. This segment of the light rail line is an aerial structure.

I took a few digital photos of the exterior pf the supermarket that I will post if someone can tell me how to do that.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Milpitas, Calif.-777 E. Capitol Ave.-Northwood Plaza

Post by Groceteria »

I checked it out using Google Maps and Street View, and from the columns, the pitch of the roof, and the placement of the glass panes below it, it actually looks very much like a 1960s Lucky store to me.

Photo from DAPlus:
http://tinyurl.com/5qgpy9
romleys
Veteran

Re: Milpitas, Calif.-777 E. Capitol Ave.-Northwood Plaza

Post by romleys »

Dicks Market was located in this building in 1970. I know that it was a supermarket under the name "Food Bowl" (relation to the SJ McKee Rd. Food Bowl?) for at least five years in the late 1970's. I cannot confirm a Lucky ever being in the building as their was a store located at 1350 South Victoria Dr. which opened in 1968.
Charles H:)