Mystery store: Sack 'N Save, 111 W Espy St, Kenton, OH

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

Andrew T.
Veteran

Mystery store: Sack 'N Save, 111 W Espy St, Kenton, OH

Post by Andrew T. »

While passing through the town of Kenton, Ohio (northwest of Columbus), I came across this wonderful, pyloned store at the intersection of highways 31 and 53:

In my opinion, there's something that looks vaguely Colonial-ish about the store: Albers, maybe? That's just a random stab in the dark, though. Any thoughts as to what this store may have originally been?
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
rich
Veteran

Re: Mystery store: Sack 'N Save, 111 W Espy St, Kenton, OH

Post by rich »

Albers had a store in Kenton. The pylon is a detail that other chains most likely didn't use (A&P very rarely did and Kroger used a different design in the few 50s pylons of their's that I've seen). It also looks like there's painted over corrugated metal, which was another Albers/Colonial detail. The only other possibility might be Big Bear, but I don't know if they expanded much into that direction. They tended to go more S & E of Columbus.
Toby Radloff
Contributor

Post by Toby Radloff »

Big Bear did have a store in Mansfield in 1962. (I have a scan of the ad on my Ohio Grocery MSN Group site.) Whether they had other stores north of the Columbus area I don't know offhand.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

Big Bear did expand northward. They briefly had a store in Toledo during the late 50s; it became a long running Kroger in "The Colony" (an early not quite planned shopping center NW of downtown). They also had a store in Marion for awhile, but the critical mass of their locations tended to be more S & E of Columbus, where the competition tended toward the less intense and more familiar.
BOB3

Post by BOB3 »

I THINK I HELPED THEM FOR ONE DAY IN MEAT FOR ALBERS HERE. I WORKED IN THE ALBERS IN LIMA, OH AT MARKET AND METCALF IN THE EARLY 1960`S