Circuit City

Moderator: Groceteria

Dean
Veteran

Circuit City

Post by Dean »

Heard on the news that Circuit City is closing 150 stores.

The Palm Desert CA NEW store is about to open! It is on Monterey, in the KOHL'S center.

Wondering if there are many OLDER Circuit City sites that have been transformed to other types of stores. The sites had the distinct tiled facade. I remember the commercial...that depicted that facade meandering thru the air...and then finally "plugs" in @ the entrance!

Any unique uses for old Circuit City sites out there....?
javelin
Veteran

Re: Circuit City

Post by javelin »

The Victorville store was converted into Famsa after being vacant for a few years. They sell mostly furniture and small appliances.

Any lists of the 150 stores closing?
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

No list yet.

But the redish-purple tile "plug" entry for Montebello's store still exists. They built this store right before they started the new layouts for their store and is one of a few that I know that has this entry and the newer circuit city logo.

The old store is now the 99 cent only store, which was part of Zodys originally.
There is a vacant Circuit City in San Bernardino with the familiar tower that is vacant.
A furniture store had moved into the former Buena Park location before it was torn down.
Finally, the old Puente Hills was vacant for about a year when Circuit City moved into the former JCPenney store at Puente Hills Mall (it takes part of the upper level of the store only, and the JCP, seen in the Back To The Future movies, was subdivided into a 24Hour Fitness / Burlington Coat Factory on the Ground Level, Linens And Things on the upper level with escalators down to BCF, more of the 24 hour fitness, and Circuit City).
umtrr-author
Contributor

Post by umtrr-author »

Here in Rochester, CC closed its original store (with the "plug") and opened a new outlet about a mile north. The former CC is temporarily a Halloween Costume outlet.
TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Dean wrote:Heard on the news that Circuit City is closing 150 stores.

The Palm Desert CA NEW store is about to open! It is on Monterey, in the KOHL'S center.

Wondering if there are many OLDER Circuit City sites that have been transformed to other types of stores. The sites had the distinct tiled facade. I remember the commercial...that depicted that facade meandering thru the air...and then finally "plugs" in @ the entrance!

Any unique uses for old Circuit City sites out there....?
Does anyone have a pic of the "plug" entrance type?
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Two versions of the PLUG Entry:
The straight plug:

The Angled plug (most in this area were this type):

Here is another version of it:
TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I can't say that I've ever seen any in those first two types. Then again, every Circuit City I know of closed 2-3 years ago.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Most of the plug style were built around here in the 80's and continued all the way to the mid 90's. Only recently were some remodeled and the plug removed (like Pasadena to name one).
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Post by Brian Lutz »

The one here in Bellevue uses a different variation on the "straight plug" style that isn't listed here (it seems they took the angled plug design and just added a straight front to it.)
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

155 Stores Closing. A few of them are newer stores around here.

Puente Hills - in the dying Puente Hills Mall opened a few years ago.
Fontana - opened just last year.
Mira Loma - same, barely a year old.
Foothill Ranch - I actually go to this store, its by my work. The entire center is dying around it, with Mervyns closing across the street.
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

Their old warehouse/divisional office in City of Industry, CA (Lemon Ave south of Valley Blvd) was had a plug at the front. They recently moved to another warehouse next door and sold the plug building.

luckysaver
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

Jeff,

The Mira Loma store was featured on the local news last week (the City by Circuit City).

I visited the Puente Hills Mall store several times last month - barely any shoppers (more employees than shoppers). They used to be on Gale Ave in a now-demolished plug store.

The former West Covina store on Azusa and Workman (now a discount store, next to Stater Bros) is in a plug as well.

Another plug store (not closing) is at the 60/71 interchange in South Pomona. It was at this store that I bought my notebook computer that I am using to write this entry.

luckysaver
wrallen99
Contributor

Post by wrallen99 »

Here is a former Circuit City in Huntsville, AL. The plug is now painted blue.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

luckysaver wrote: Another plug store (not closing) is at the 60/71 interchange in South Pomona. It was at this store that I bought my notebook computer that I am using to write this entry.

luckysaver
Nope its closing. This is on Towne Ave in Pomona.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Chapter 11.

Not good for the chain.

I actually like Circuit City over Best Buy (since its close to me and CC price matches BB if they are cheaper).