Vons Locations, 1967

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

runchadrun
Veteran

Vons Locations, 1967

Post by runchadrun »

Here is a list of Vons locations from June 1967 upon the court-ordered divestiture of Shopping Bag. This list is from the ad announcing that the two chains were splitting. There are 70 Vons locations. Compare this to the list of stores from 1950 at http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtop ... f=27&t=695 (Some of this info I just copied from that list.) What you'll find is the expansion into the suburbs and out of the central city. About half are still operating as grocery stores, with 19 as Vons. Compare that to the A&Ps, Alpha Betas, or Safeways of the day...

(Edit: the following sentence it probably not true. See below.) The Santa Monica store opened in 1939 and, as far as I can tell, is the oldest store in Socal still operating under the original banner. (The Avalon Safeway/Vons opened in 1927 but it has changed ownership and names, even though it's again owned by Safeway.)

As always, corrections and comments are welcome.

Los Angeles:
3667 West 3rd--Jons
3334 West 8th--Jons
840 S Alvarado--former Jons
1020 S Crenshaw--unknown
1500 W Pico--former Jons
5039 S Vermont--possibly the "Challengers" building? The address matches the Challengers Boys & Girls Club.
3644 W Santa Barbara (Santa Barbara is now known as MLK Blvd and this store has been the subject of discussion here in the past.)--Torn down for Crenshaw Plaza expansion
10780 W Pico--torn down for Westside Pavilion
8857 S Western--Superior Warehouse (replacement store)
124 N Western--HK Super. See http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtop ... =27&t=2115
620 E El Segundo Blvd--Payless Foods

6607 Atlantic, Bell--looks like some kind of indoor mall
10001 Paramount Blvd, Downey--Vons
11471 Long Beach Blvd, Lynwood--underneath the 105 Freeway
1311 Wilshire, Santa Monica--Vons
6921 La Tijera Blvd, Westchester--Vons
6571 W 80th, Westchester--Vons
301 N Pass Ave, Burbank--Vons
1111 W Alameda, Burbank--Auto Club (Replacement Pavilions across the street)
20151 Roscoe, Canoga Park--Jons
16225 San Fernando Mission, Granada Hills--Big Lots (not the Albertsons, which was built later) Vons moved to SFM and Balboa in the mid 70s where Ross is now. Current Vons on SFM built in 1996.
9119 Reseda, Northridge--Vons
9011 Woodman, Pacoima--Vallarta
18247 Sherman Way, Reseda--CVS
19333 Victory Blvd, Reseda--Vons
16130 Nordhoff, Sepulveda--Closed. Was a Vons until about 2002, then a Jons which closed in about 2005.
13333 Riverside Drive, Sherman Oaks--Thrifty/Rite Aid
13730 Foothill Blvd, Sylmar--Vons
6655 Van Nuys Blvd, Van Nuys--Jons Market. Pic at http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtop ... f=27&t=917
1260 Redondo Beach Blvd, Gardena--Vons
956 W Sepulveda, Harbor City--Big Lots/99 Cents Only
1212 Beryl St, Redondo Beach--Vons
27824 Indian Peak Road, Rolling Hills--Industrial park
820 N Western, San Pedro--Unknown
5035 Pacific Coast Hwy, Torrance--Big Lots? Ralphs?
4200 N Woodruff, Lakewood--Vons
4480 Atlantic Blvd, Long Beach--OSH (replacement store?)
8145 E Wardlow Rd, Long Beach--TJ Maxx
1033 Long Beach Blvd, Long Beach--Superior Warehouse
34081 Doheny Park Rd, Capistrano Beach--Stats
17950 Magnolia, Fountain Valley--Big Lots
12151 Brookhurst Ave, Garden Grove--Shopping center
10111 Adams Ave, Huntington Beach--demolished shopping center
5922 Edinger, Huntington Beach--Vons
1257 Yorba Linda Blvd, Placentia--CVS/99 Cents Only
15906 Imperial Hwy, La Mirada--Marshall's (closed?)
15740 Whittwood Lane (Whittwood Center), Whittier--Demolished
546 E Cullen St (Whittier Quad), Whittier--Ross
20808 E Arrow Hwy, Charter Oak--Big Lots
4840 N Peck Rd, El Monte--Payless Foods
2122 S Hacienda Blvd, Hacienda Heights--Vons
130 West G St at Euclid, Ontario--Liborio Market
389 Arneill Rd, Camarillo--Tresierras Brothers Market
2225 Tapo, Santa Susana (Simi Valley)--Unclear. 2225 is an under-construction site and the address is listed on a state redevelopement database for low-income housing. The satellite view shows a Vons on the even side of the street, but the location doesn't show up the Vons store locator.
179 N Moorpark Rd, Thousand Oaks--Vons
2764 Thompson Blvd, Ventura--Vons
102 S Mills Rd, Ventura--Closed Circuit City?
1020 Coast Village Rd, Montecito-Vons
3855 State St, Santa Barbara--Vons
12550 Central Ave, Chino--Big Lots
450 N Main St, Corona--Unclear. Something in a shopping center.
3300 Plaza Mall, Riverside--Mall was rebuilt in the 90s, unclear if current Vons is the original structure
2028 E. Highland, San Bernardino--?? Is this the former Albertsons/Grocery Warehouse mentioned at http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63
102 S. Sunrise Drive, Palm Springs--Jensen's
1733 E. Palm Canyon Drive (Smoke Tree Center), Palm Springs--Ralphs Fresh Fare
(The Palm Springs stores have been discussed extensively at http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtop ... =27&t=1988)
3015 San Elijo, Cardiff--cannot locate on map
1046 Mission Ave, Oceanside--Office Depot
lvkewlkid
Veteran

Re: Vons Locations, 1967

Post by lvkewlkid »

are you saying the 1311 Wilshire store in Santa Monica was built in 1939?

I've been to that store and it is pretty big, it must've had some kind of expansion, plus it has a lifestyle remodel, it didn't seem that old...
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

lvkewlkid wrote:are you saying the 1311 Wilshire store in Santa Monica was built in 1939?
I think you're right. The current store is a replacement store and the original store is the Rite Aid next door. I had always thought that the current store was the original (even though it didn't make a lot of sense) but I just found a rendering of the store and they don't match.
Tortuga One
Contributor

Post by Tortuga One »

Thank You for posting the VONS locations for 1967. I had been looking and waiting to find a list of locations for around this time period.

1020 So. Crenshaw Los Angeles was open until the early 1980s, it has been converted/rehabbed/modified into a sports building with a golf range and a giant green golf net.

820 N. Western San Pedro was a VONS until a couple of years ago. It is now Henrys Market (Former Division of of Wild Oats, now part of Smart & Final??)

1260 Redondo Beach Blvd. Gardena was demolished and replaced by a new VONS in the back of the parking lot.

4480 Atlantic Long Beach was converted/rehabbed/modified into OSH after VONS took over another site next door. One weird thing, when VONS took over the Southern California SAFEWAY sites in 1988, they also listed that store as the one that they were going to keep, which is now a U.S. Post Office. So there may have been two stores operating for awhile. Not sure though.

5035 Pacific Coast Highway Torrance is a Ralphs, which was a former Market Basket. The Market Basket was built in the early 1980's and converted to Ralphs around 1983?. In the last few years the outside has been changed.

18247 Sherman Way Reseda that solves the mystery of that former Savon now CVS. I always felt it was a former supermarket. VONS moved next door to 18135 Sherman Way and a few years ago closed the store. It is now a JONS.

Finally, in regards to the Santa Monica Store, I believe there were two stores next to the current VONS. One was a Newberrys, which was taken over by Payless (now Rite Aid) when Newberrys closed down. I remember reading somewhere that Payless (Rite Aide) took over two spaces, when they were attempting to open, but I cannot confirm it.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

Tortuga One wrote:5035 Pacific Coast Highway Torrance is a Ralphs, which was a former Market Basket. The Market Basket was built in the early 1980's and converted to Ralphs around 1983?. In the last few years the outside has been changed.
Market Basket pulled out in the summer of 1982. 1983 is close enough :)
Tortuga One wrote:Finally, in regards to the Santa Monica Store, I believe there were two stores next to the current VONS. One was a Newberrys, which was taken over by Payless (now Rite Aid) when Newberrys closed down. I remember reading somewhere that Payless (Rite Aide) took over two spaces, when they were attempting to open, but I cannot confirm it.
I went into that Newberrys a few times before it closed in the early 90s when I was outfitting my first apartment with cheap stuff. My recollection is that it took the whole bulding since there were a few steps you had to traverse when going between one half of the store and the other.
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

Here is an update (corrections in capitals)

3667 West 3rd/CATALINA ST--Jons
3334 West 8th/IROLO ST--Jons
840 S Alvarado/8TH--former Jons <UP FOR LEASE>
1020 S Crenshaw--SPORTS CENTER, according to the post above
1500 W Pico/VALENCIA--former Jons <may still be operating?
5039 S Vermont--possibly the "Challengers" building? The address matches the Challengers
Boys & Girls Club.
3644 W Santa Barbara (Santa Barbara is now known as MLK Blvd and this store has been the
subject of discussion here in the past.)--Torn down for Crenshaw Plaza
expansion
10780 W Pico--torn down for Westside Pavilion
8857 S Western--Superior Warehouse (replacement store)
124 N Western--HK Super. See viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2115
620 E El Segundo Blvd--Payless Foods
6607 Atlantic, Bell/GAGE--<ATLANTIC CENTER MINIMALL>
10001 Paramount Blvd, Downey--Vons
11471 Long Beach Blvd, Lynwood--underneath the 105 Freeway
1311 Wilshire, Santa Monica--Vons
6921 La Tijera Blvd, Westchester--Vons
6571 W 80th, Westchester--Vons
301 N Pass Ave, Burbank--Vons
1111 W Alameda, Burbank--Auto Club (Replacement Pavilions across the street)
20151 Roscoe, Canoga Park--Jons
16225 San Fernando Mission, Granada Hills--Big Lots (not the Albertsons, which was built
later) Vons moved to SFM and Balboa in the mid
70s where Ross is now. Current Vons on SFM built
in 1996.
9119 Reseda, Northridge--Vons
9011 Woodman, Pacoima--Vallarta
18247 Sherman Way, Reseda--CVS
19333 Victory Blvd, Reseda--Vons
16130 Nordhoff, Sepulveda--Closed. Was a Vons until about 2002, then a Jons which closed in about 2005. <STILL OPERATING AS JONS, according to liquor license>
13333 Riverside Drive, Sherman Oaks--Thrifty/Rite Aid
13730 Foothill Blvd, Sylmar--Vons
6655 Van Nuys Blvd, Van Nuys--Jons Market. Pic at viewtopic.php?f=27&t=917
1260 Redondo Beach Blvd, Gardena--Vons
956 W Sepulveda, Harbor City--Big Lots/99 Cents Only
1212 Beryl St, Redondo Beach--Vons
27824 Indian Peak Road, Rolling Hills--Industrial park
820 N Western, San Pedro--<HENRY'S FARMER MARKETPLACE #215>
5035 Pacific Coast Hwy, Torrance--<RALPHS #88 WITH PHARMACY>
4200 N Woodruff, Lakewood--Vons
4480 Atlantic Blvd, Long Beach--OSH (replacement store?)
8145 E Wardlow Rd, Long Beach--TJ Maxx
1033 Long Beach Blvd, Long Beach--Superior Warehouse
34081 Doheny Park Rd, Capistrano Beach--Stats (FLORAL SUPPLY shop)
17950 Magnolia, Fountain Valley--Big Lots
12151 Brookhurst Ave, Garden Grove--<CENTURY PLAZA, CVS PHARMACY, REMODELED>
10111 Adams Ave, Huntington Beach--<NEW SPLIT SHOPPING CENTER>
5922 Edinger, Huntington Beach--Vons
1257 Yorba Linda Blvd, Placentia--CVS/99 Cents Only
15906 Imperial Hwy, La Mirada--Marshall's (closed?) - STILL THERE, STORE #73
15740 Whittwood Lane (Whittwood Center), Whittier--<JC PENNEY>
20808 E Arrow Hwy, Charter Oak--Big Lots
4840 N Peck Rd, El Monte--Payless Foods
2122 S Hacienda Blvd, Hacienda Heights--Vons
130 West G St at Euclid, Ontario--Liborio Market
389 Arneill Rd, Camarillo--Tresierras Brothers Market
2225 Tapo, Santa Susana (Simi Valley)--Unclear. 2225 is an under-construction site and the
address is listed on a state redevelopement
database for low-income housing. The
satellite view shows a Vons on the even side
of the street, but the location doesn't show
up the Vons store locator.
179 N Moorpark Rd, Thousand Oaks--Vons
2764 Thompson Blvd, Ventura--Vons
102 S Mills Rd, Ventura--Closed Circuit City? TRUE - Part of Pacific View Mall. I drove by the
site the other day.
1020 Coast Village Rd, Montecito-Vons
3855 State St, Santa Barbara--Vons
12550 Central Ave, Chino--Big Lots
450 N Main St, Corona--XTREME FITNESS/YOGA DEN
3300 Plaza Mall, Riverside--Mall was rebuilt in the 90s, unclear if current Vons is the
original structure
2028 E. Highland, San Bernardino RIO RANCH MARKET #3
102 S. Sunrise Drive, Palm Springs--Jensen's
1733 E. Palm Canyon Drive (Smoke Tree Center), Palm Springs--Ralphs Fresh Fare
(The Palm Springs stores have been discussed extensively at viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1988)
3015 San Elijo, Cardiff--cannot locate on map - Cardiff-By-The-Sea, part of the City of
Encinitas.
1046 Mission Ave, Oceanside--Office Depot

luckysaver
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

The store on Nordhoff which became a Jons is indeed closed and has been for a couple of years. I drive by it regularly. It still has the mid-90's Vons sign package.

I'll update the original list with your other updates when I have a chance.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

15740 Whittwood Lane (Whittwood Center), Whittier--<JC PENNEY>

This store is still there. Its actually behind the JCPenney.
The address might have changed since the days of the mall.

The Quad was (almost) completely torn down a few years after the 1987 Whittier Quake. The May Co store / Parking Structure was severely damaged. The mall went into a decline, as Hinshaw's couldn't keep the mall going. Today, a Ralphs is located on the property. The Hinshaws property is still there, the rear parking structure still stands, and the Hinshaws was subdivided into Burlington Coats (basement level and 1/2 the first level), Staples (the rest of the first level) and Golds Gym (2nd level, since closed and vacant. This was only accessible from the rear structure)
enginecapt
Contributor

Post by enginecapt »

The one on Doheny Park Rd in Capistrano Beach (now a Stats) bears not label scars, but automatic door opening pressure pad scars on the concrete in front of the entrances. In fact, one of those scars marks the now closed off entry to what had been the liquor department on the far west side of the building.
Help with Everyday Low Prices
ieguy441
Contributor

Post by ieguy441 »

3300 Plaza Mall, Riverside

The original was torn down with the rest of the mall (minus Harris' Gottschalks) in 2003, and reopended in the exact same location, but the entry now faces East, as opposed to North....

http://www.raincrosssquare.com/mt/2004/ ... _plaza.php
That site above is one of my favorites!

http://www.raincrosssquare.com/misc/sli ... za/002.jpg
rnaikens
Contributor

Post by rnaikens »

Vons in Ventura - Out with the old, in with the new!
Attachments
Vons - Ventura - Old and New
Vons - Ventura - Old and New
J-Mac
Veteran

Post by J-Mac »

Allow me to offer a correction to the Whittier Location:

The grocery store in the Quad was an out building, not inline with the mall. The inline mall was demolished, meaning that the Ross building is new construction. The Ralphs location in this center was always a grocery store, but I don't have a clear timeline as to its occupancy. Ralphs may have relocated into the "New Quad" from that obvious former Market Basket across Whittier Blvd.
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

Last month, I visited the Big Lots in Chino (former Vons). The exterior still looks the same as in the 1967 Chino Valley Chamber of Commerce Directory, where there is a picture of the building in the middle of the book (ask for it at the reference librarian's desk at the Chino Branch Library). The picture shows a Vons courtesy clerk helping an elderly woman load groceries in her car, taken in 1967.

The store closed sometime in the late '70's or early '80's and like many Vons stores of that size, was sold to Big Lots (previously known as Pic N Save/MacFrugals) and they usually kept the exterior but renovated the interior (so that there's no trace of "supermarketness").

Examples of former 1967 era Vons stores that became Pic N Save/Big Lots:
- Rowland Heights: Nogales and Colima. Vons moved to the ex-Market Basket (now Shun Fat Supermarket) on Colima and Jellick.
- Covina/Charter Oak on Arrow Hwy.

On a different note on the 1967 era stores:
There is an unusual 1982 Jerseymaid ad in the LA Times archives in which Vons and Thriftimart lists nothing but all stores in both chains selling Jerseymaid milk lists many stores of the '60's era. Most of the Vons stores listed in the ad became Pic N Save or some other store. Vons' affiliation with Thriftimart in that ad was a joint partnership where Vons supplied T-Mart with certain dairy products/groceries. Also, many Thriftimart locations would later become Vons when Thriftimart went out of business as T-Mart and evolved into the Smart and Final chain (such as the Montebello store).

luckysaver
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

luckysaver wrote:Also, many Thriftimart locations would later become Vons when Thriftimart went out of business as T-Mart and evolved into the Smart and Final chain (such as the Montebello store).
Thriftimart and Smart & Final operated at the same time under the same ownership for many years and never really evolved into S&F. The company that owned them decided to liquidate the supermarket business with Safeway buying the stores that were financially viable and the rest being closed. Vons did get some of them much later when they bought Safeway's Southern California division but by that time Safeway had already closed a lot of them. The ones I remember still being opened at that time were in Canoga Park (still open as a Pavilions but expanded and remodeled and North Hollywood which has since closed and is operated by another chain). I'm sure there were other locations but not sure of where they were located.
J-Man
Veteran

Post by J-Man »

I believe the Duarte Big Lots may have been a Vons also. When I moved there in 1987, it was already a Pic'n'Save, but I believe there was a Vons labelscar either on the building or on the shopping center signage. Vons also owned a Pantry store just down the road a bit; perhaps their acquisition of that chain obviated the need for Vons in the vicinity. The former Pantry has gone through a number of incarnations over the years, but is now in the process of becoming a Fresh & Easy.