Diho Supermarket (Asian) chain

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

luckysaver
Veteran

Diho Supermarket (Asian) chain

Post by luckysaver »

Anybody remember the chinese chain Diho Supermarket, which had several locations in Southern California in the early 1990's? My family used to shop at both the Monterey Park and the City of Industry/Hacienda Heights branches.

One store remains - Cerritos on Artesia Blvd somewhere near Little India.

Their flagship store from the 1990's was on 720 S Atlantic Blvd in Monterey Park, currently doctors offices/physical therapy gym. It was a basic asian grocery store but with a separate meat/seafood shop and a separate hot foods kitchen. (similar to TS Emporium/Tak Shing Hong chain).

They also operated a store on Gale and Turnbull in City of Industry, adjacent to the giant Post Office DC. I believe it was an old Alpha Beta that was recently a Ralphs and is currently a Fresco-Payless independent supermarket.

luckysaver
lvkewlkid
Veteran

Re: Diho Supermarket (Asian) chain

Post by lvkewlkid »

they still have one in Las Vegas on Jones Boulevard...
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

The Monterey Park store was always super busy when it opened. It stayed that way until the influx of asian supermarkets in the area, and subsequently closed in the late 90's.
wolvie
Contributor

Post by wolvie »

There was one in Encinitas in the early to mid 1980s. It was one of my favorite places to visit when I was a kid. I wonder if this Diho is related to the chain you're talking about ...
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

Wolvie,

Diho was a Chinese chain in the early '90's that was successful prior to the boom of 99 Ranch. They never had a location in Encinitas because this chain, like 99 is located only in areas populated with Chinese or Asians. In case you're not familiar, heavily Chinese populated areas of Southern California include Chino Hills/Phillips Ranch, Rowland Heights, Hacienda Heights, Monterey Park/Alhambra, Rosemead/San Gabriel, Clairemont Mesa (San Diego), Diamond Bar/Walnut, Chinatown (Downtown LA), and parts of the eastern San Fernando Valley.

By the way, Encinitas had an interesting Skaggs Alpha Beta (see Alpha Beta history section).

luckysaver
OCRedCub
Contributor

Post by OCRedCub »

There is, however, a 99 Ranch store located in central/west Anaheim at the corner of Euclid and Crescent (just north of the 5 Freeway). It's miles away from any significant Asian population centers (Little Seoul in Garden Grove, Little Saigon in Westminster, and the growing Korean portions of Fullerton, Buena Park, and La Habra).
Strangely, this 99 Ranch carries many Latino products. And there is a former Gigante market right across the street.
wolvie
Contributor

Post by wolvie »

Hi Luckysaver:

As a lifelong Encinitas resident (who provided the Encinitas pics of that Skaggs Alpha Beta!) I can attest to the fact that there was indeed a Diho here. It wasn't here long, and might not even have been related to the chain. I went there often as a kid, and it was in a shopping center that had a martial arts studio and a popular Asian restaurant called Peter Chang's.

My memory can fail me sometimes, but I assure you, not on this! :-)

-- Wolvie
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

I read online that Diho also had a couple markets out of state.