Market Basket Locations

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Dean
Veteran

Re: Market Basket Locations

Post by Dean »

The LA TIMES had an insert in the 12/28 edition for the Rose Parade.

Front cover is a float...sponsored by Market Basket (name in script along bottom of float). Probably ~1950s.

Have not had a chance to see if the shot is online...
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

The Whittier (Sorenson) location mentioned in the Stater Bros Whittier postings became a Pic n Save, currently Big Lots. At one time (according to that post) Big Lots gave a third to PlayCo Toys and when that closed, Big Lots regained the whole building. When I drove by recently, I immediately recognized the exterior as an ex-Market Basket.

luckysaver

ps
Would Kroger someday bring back the Market Basket name?
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

luckysaver wrote:Would Kroger someday bring back the Market Basket name?
Yucaipa licensed the Market Basket name from Kroger and brought it back around 1990 with the intent of creating a Pavilions-type upper-scale chain-within-a-chain, and they did change the name of some Boys stores. The upscale conversion plan never really got implemented other than renaming a few stores. The renaming only lasted a couple of years and they changed the names back to Boys. Of course Kroger is now the corporate successor of Boys.
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Noticed a site in Cathedral City CA, the same as in the picture within this thread.

The site was divided into 68-401 & 68-399 Highway 111.

One side is REVIVALS (thrift shop?), and the other side is BETTER HOMES & BARGAINS.

I guess the later had too many bargains...as it was going out of business!
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Dean wrote:Noticed a site in Cathedral City CA, the same as in the picture within this thread.

The site was divided into 68-401 & 68-399 Highway 111.

One side is REVIVALS (thrift shop?), and the other side is BETTER HOMES & BARGAINS.

I guess the later had too many bargains...as it was going out of business!
Was able to visit site today.

68-401
The arch has been preserved on the left side of the building...for REVIVALS (thrift shop). The hanging lantern above the entrance is there as well. The interior has been well preserved from the market era. The floor tiling was removed to solely have the exposed cement. The drop-down ceiling along the back wall (which I assume had been above the refrigerator cabinetry) is still in place. Very nice site!

68-399
Became DOLLAR TREE. The arch and hanging lantern are gone. The old market interior is completely gone...as DOLLAR TREE has decorated it all with their store package.
Dean
Veteran

Re:

Post by Dean »

Dean wrote:
OCRedCub wrote:I'm guessing that you're talking about the Hughes/Ralphs on West Whittier Blvd (near Idaho).
Do you happen to know if the Big Lots (former PicNSave) on the northeast corner of Harbor/La Habra was also a Market Basket. The woven tower logo has always made me think that it was.
And there was another market on the southwest corner of this intersection - Super A?
I would say that the BIG LOTS was indeed a Market Basket. That woven tower is the giveaway. From what I remember...all Market Basket sites had this funky woven thing!
Great photo of a Studio City MARKET BASKET.

I'd swear it was the La Habra location...as it is so similar...including the hills in the background!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/g_cliser/3279650631/
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

The Market Basket location in Hacienda Heights CA was on Hacienda Boulevard @ Newton Street.

I only remember it being a Market Basket, someone stated it had been something prior. It did not have the huge "woven thing" as the typical sites did.

It became Ralphs. Then Osco, I believe one of the first to open in So Cal with the Osco name, when the Sav-On name was phased out. When it became Osco, they only took about 2/3rds of the store. The rest became a furniture store , and then Blockbuster. When the Osco name fizzled, they transformed it into Sav-On.

I noticed that the LIQUOR signage on the front of the store is from the Osco era...as it is orange.

The site is now CVS.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

The Albertsons in Granada Hills is closing soon. It was originally a Market Basket, then Smith's Food King, then Lucky, then Albertsons. It was never updated from the Lucky interior and the store was usually not very busy. The local Ralphs and Vons stores were always vastly superior and about twice the size and they just couldn't compete.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Is this the same Market Basket that bought older Safeways in Houston?
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

Ephrata1966 wrote:Is this the same Market Basket that bought older Safeways in Houston?
No. That's been covered here before. Even though they have similar logos, they are not related except in name.
Scott Greer