A&P Merritt Island FL

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

jimbobga
Contributor

A&P Merritt Island FL

Post by jimbobga »

Moved by moderator from a different topic:

And off this topic, but at least directly across the street... was also an A&P. In this Google picture, there is a Family Dollar on the site. While the building looks to be about the same size and on the same footprint as the original A&P, it is difficult to tell if it is the same store. The A&P was a design that I only saw twice, with the other being in Cocoa Beach. A rather small store, the fascia was a series of five rather wide rectangles with the ends coming to a point at both the top and the bottom. I believe they were even painted in pastal colors.
buckhead
Contributor

Re: Publix Markets with "wings" in Florida

Post by buckhead »

jimbobga wrote: And off this topic, but at least directly across the street... was also an A&P. ...
I'm not sure when the A&P closed, but at least for a bit in the 80s there was a new-build Family Mart a bit to the west on FL 520...not sure of the exact spot, but I think it was not too far from the Mercury/Merkur dealership. It was a very austere building on the outside...mostly black and white with a smooth front...about the size of the new larger Albertson's being built at the same time, if not larger. That store did not last very many years. I would stop there on the way back from the beach to buy some Jordan almonds...they had an extensive selection of bulk foods.
jimbobga
Contributor

Post by jimbobga »

As for A&P on Merritt Island, the comment was right on the mark with A&P having a store nearby. It was a FutureStore, built across Fla 520 from Merritt Square in a shopping center with Cook's Discount Store. The original A&P on Merritt Island was on North Courtney Pike about two blocks south of the other wing-style Publix I mentioned. There was a gap of about five years between the closing of that store and the opening of the Future Store.
Nutball Gazette

Post by Nutball Gazette »

buckhead wrote:
jimbobga wrote: And off this topic, but at least directly across the street... was also an A&P. ...
I'm not sure when the A&P closed, but at least for a bit in the 80s there was a new-build Family Mart a bit to the west on FL 520...not sure of the exact spot, but I think it was not too far from the Mercury/Merkur dealership. It was a very austere building on the outside...mostly black and white with a smooth front...about the size of the new larger Albertson's being built at the same time, if not larger. That store did not last very many years. I would stop there on the way back from the beach to buy some Jordan almonds...they had an extensive selection of bulk foods.
The Family Mart was owned by A & P, I remember there was one in Palm Bay on Babcock and Pt Malabar, It started out as a Supermarket owned by Kroger, Then it became Family Mart, Then (I am drawing a complete blank on the name. It was a family owned Store based in Orlando, There is still one left in lake Buena Vista), and now that location is a Winn Dixie. (I work there)
jimbobga
Contributor

Post by jimbobga »

The A&P store on Merritt Island -across from Merritt Square - was a Future Store, not a Family Mart. I was not aware of any A&P stores of this type in the Melbourne area, nor of the Family Mart version of A&P, but it is possible they did have a Family Mart down there. As late as 1970, there were four regular A&P stores in South Brevard County. Perhaps these were replaced with either Family Mart or another Future Store like the Merritt Island store.