Gottschalks

Moderator: Groceteria

ieguy441
Full Member
Posts: 67
Joined: 12 Feb 2006 01:26

Re: Gottschalks

Post by ieguy441 » 10 Jun 2009 13:09

RXSQ wrote:
Dean wrote:This is a funny commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPltz2fu ... re=related

Is the building shown an old Broadway? Looks similar to the Puente Hills and Carson CA former Broadway locations.
It's the former Weinstock's (sister store of The Broadway) at Fresno's Fashion Fair mall.

Designed by Charles Luckman & Associates, there were at least 3 of these "stacked blocks" stores built for the Broadway-Hale chain: Fresno, CA (Fashion Fair - 1970), Riverside, CA (Galleria at Tyler - 1970) and Citrus Heights/Sacramento, CA (Sunrise Mall - 1972), all of which remain standing today.

The Carson, CA and Puente Hills, CA stores were modified, less eclectic versions of this design.

Below are images of the Fresno and Riverside stores just after they opened in 1970 (images courtesy of Jim Van Schaak):

Image
Weinstock's - Fresno

Image
The Broadway - Riverside

You can see more images of the Riverside store here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/12956306@N ... 523100224/
Thanks for those photos! I'm still shocked that Macy's didn't keep both locations at the Tyler Mall during the Robinson's-May acquisition, much like the Promenade at Temecula.. I used to love going into the old Broadway, although it was looking rather ran down before Macy's moved into the May Co building... but I didn't think the old May Co looked much better. I still don't understand the reasoning behind that one. Any news yet as to what they are going to do with the old Broadway?

Oh and welcome to the message board, as I've said before, I am a frequent visitor of your Raincross Square site. My grandparents met each other at Fairmont Park, and both my uncle and my mom were born in Riverside... so it's very nice to see all of the old Riverside photos to help fill in all those countless stories I've heard about living in Riverside way back when.

J-Man
Senior Member
Posts: 136
Joined: 07 Jul 2006 00:14
Location: Duarte, CA

Re: Gottschalks

Post by J-Man » 10 Jun 2009 23:47

The Sunrise Mall former Weinstocks is now one of two Macy's in that mall. The other is the former Liberty House. Originally, Macy's had no stores in Sunrise Mall (the original anchors were Weinstocks, Liberty House, JCPenney and Sears) but built a new store across the street in what was first called "Birdcage Walk," where the Target Greatland is located now. That's why the street that intersects with Sunrise Blvd. at the south end of the Target is called "Macy Plaza Drive" despite the absence of a Macy's on that street.

bigbubby
Full Member
Posts: 47
Joined: 12 Nov 2005 17:58
Location: Phoenix

Re: Gottschalks

Post by bigbubby » 11 Jun 2009 15:51

J-Man wrote:The Sunrise Mall former Weinstocks is now one of two Macy's in that mall. The other is the former Liberty House. Originally, Macy's had no stores in Sunrise Mall (the original anchors were Weinstocks, Liberty House, JCPenney and Sears) but built a new store across the street in what was first called "Birdcage Walk," where the Target Greatland is located now. That's why the street that intersects with Sunrise Blvd. at the south end of the Target is called "Macy Plaza Drive" despite the absence of a Macy's on that street.
The Birdcage Walk Macy's was where the sheriff's department conducted a sting operation regarding a men's restroom. One of the people busted was a local TV weatherman. After the bust, he never appeared on TV again.

User avatar
RXSQ
Full Member
Posts: 23
Joined: 26 May 2009 16:43
Location: Riverside, CA
Contact:

Re: Gottschalks

Post by RXSQ » 14 Jun 2009 20:07

ieguy441 wrote:I'm still shocked that Macy's didn't keep both locations at the Tyler Mall during the Robinson's-May acquisition, much like the Promenade at Temecula.. I used to love going into the old Broadway, although it was looking rather ran down before Macy's moved into the May Co building... but I didn't think the old May Co looked much better. I still don't understand the reasoning behind that one. Any news yet as to what they are going to do with the old Broadway?
Yeah, I was a bit surprised Macy's vacated The Broadway building in favor of the Robinson's-May pad, but they likely did so for the freeway visibility. I guess I'm even more surprised to see The Broadway anchor still empty nearly 3 years later (which is really not that uncommon for malls these days). Still no definite word on who or what will be filling it.

However, there has been recent news on the Gottschalks front. Forever 21 has agreed to take over leases at 15 former Gottchalks, including the 3-story anchor pad at the Riverside Plaza: Riverside Press-Enterprise - Retailers appear eager to fill up vacant Inland big box sites (http://www.pe.com/business/local/storie ... f1b15.html)

Image
Gottschalks - Riverside Plaza

The building was built in 1957 for the San Bernardino-based Harris' chain, which was purchased by Gottschalks in 1998. Below is a 1964 advertisement showing the building as Harris':
Image

Jeff
Senior Member
Posts: 938
Joined: 21 Nov 2005 21:44

Re: Gottschalks

Post by Jeff » 14 Jun 2009 23:58

I was at the Riverside store a month or so ago. Its still an amazingly large store. I don't see how Forever 21 will be able to fill up 3 floors and a basement level.

User avatar
RXSQ
Full Member
Posts: 23
Joined: 26 May 2009 16:43
Location: Riverside, CA
Contact:

Re: Gottschalks

Post by RXSQ » 19 Jun 2009 02:36

Jeff wrote:I was at the Riverside store a month or so ago. Its still an amazingly large store. I don't see how Forever 21 will be able to fill up 3 floors and a basement level.
Indeed, it is a large store (@204,000 sq. ft.: 3 floors = 140,000 + 64,000 sq. ft. basement).

The latest word is that Forever 21 will take up 2 floors, with the rest possibly to be leased out. F21 has snapped up a number of vacated Mervyn's recently, so it'll be interesting to see how their newly-expanded concept works out.

User avatar
storewanderer
Senior Member
Posts: 512
Joined: 07 Nov 2005 03:24
Location: Western United States
Contact:

Re: Gottschalks

Post by storewanderer » 13 Jul 2009 06:10

The store in Sacramento is now closed (Sunday was the last day for merchandise sales).

I don't know when the one in Carson City closed; I was over there last week and the signs said "final 12 days" however when I drove by tonight signage stated the store is closed but will open Monday and Tuesday for fixture sales and charge cards will be the only form of payment accepted.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/

User avatar
RXSQ
Full Member
Posts: 23
Joined: 26 May 2009 16:43
Location: Riverside, CA
Contact:

Re: Gottschalks

Post by RXSQ » 17 Jul 2009 16:03

storewanderer wrote:The store in Sacramento is now closed (Sunday was the last day for merchandise sales).
Same here in Riverside. Sunday was the final "merchandise" day with this past Monday & Tuesday being the last days for display/fixture sales. You can read (and see a few photos) of the last day at Riverside Plaza here.

Forever 21 is scheduled to take over the space sometime in August. Still no "public" word on exactly how many floors they'll be taking up within the 204,000 sq. ft. building.

User avatar
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin
Posts: 1574
Joined: 04 Nov 2005 12:13
Location: NC Triad
Contact:

Re: Gottschalks

Post by Groceteria » 17 Jul 2009 17:45

Reminder: please let's stick with history-related posts here rather than current details of the shutdown.

Thanks,
David


bigbubby
Full Member
Posts: 47
Joined: 12 Nov 2005 17:58
Location: Phoenix

Re: Gottschalks

Post by bigbubby » 23 Jul 2009 04:17

That Modesto site is in the Century Center Shopping Center at Oakdale Road and Orangeburg Avenue. It was originally part of a department store chain called Gray's, Gottschalks got it in the early 80s. It was never a Lucky- there is a Raley's next door. There was a Lucky a few blocks north on Oakdale Road.

I have never been to Hanford so I have no idea about that one. But Gottschalks built some stores in the 70s and 80s that look like they could be classed-up Zody's. The original Modesto Vintage Faire store (now Macy's Mens) looks like that, and the Stockton store has/had a similar facade as well.

Dean
Senior Member
Posts: 738
Joined: 11 Jan 2007 23:27

Re: Gottschalks

Post by Dean » 23 Jul 2009 13:16

Seems as tho the San Luis Obispo CA site began as Maxwell's.

From the photo, it looks as tho Grant's became Mervyn's:

http://sloblogs.thetribunenews.com/slov ... pens-1968/

Gottschalks seemed to take over many former locations of other chains.

User avatar
RXSQ
Full Member
Posts: 23
Joined: 26 May 2009 16:43
Location: Riverside, CA
Contact:

Re: Gottschalks

Post by RXSQ » 01 Jan 2010 22:03

Image
San Bernardino - Inland Center Mall, former Gottschalks

Originally opened as May Co. in 1966, but closed in 1993 upon the merger with J.W. Robinson's at which time the building was sold to Gottschalks (1993/94-2009).

surfingdude
Full Member
Posts: 49
Joined: 02 Jul 2006 15:03

Re: Gottschalks

Post by surfingdude » 02 Jan 2010 12:56

Dean wrote:Seems as tho the San Luis Obispo CA site began as Maxwell's.

From the photo, it looks as tho Grant's became Mervyn's:

http://sloblogs.thetribunenews.com/slov ... pens-1968/

Gottschalks seemed to take over many former locations of other chains.

Gottschalks in San Luis Obispo was built by Gottschalks around 1980 as the only anchor of a new enclosed mall to the south of Madonna Plaza. This was one of the few locations that Gottschalks owned. It is now Forever 21. The entire enclosed mall was demolished in the late 90's, and replaced by several big box stores.

With respect to Madonna Plaza, the Grant City became Sears around 1978. Sears occupies this space today.

Maxwells became Benos, then Mervyns. Kohls opened in this space in November, 2009.

Dean
Senior Member
Posts: 738
Joined: 11 Jan 2007 23:27

Re: Gottschalks

Post by Dean » 04 Jan 2010 01:15

RXSQ wrote:Image
San Bernardino - Inland Center Mall, former Gottschalks

Originally opened as May Co. in 1966, but closed in 1993 upon the merger with J.W. Robinson's at which time the building was sold to Gottschalks (1993/94-2009).
Great shot, thanks!

The site closed as May Co. prior to the merger with Robinsons. It sat vacant for quite some time...with the San Bernardino Fedco almost relocating to the site.

Gottschalks then moved in.

After the Robinsons-May "marriage" (remember the ads?!), the chain decided to RETURN to Inland Center...and built the brand new Robinsons-May...which is now Macy*s.

The former Gottschalks was a Halloween store last fall. Local paper THE SUN alludes to that a tenant is close to signing. We shall see!

Post Reply