Gold Triangle (Florida)

Moderator: Groceteria

trainman
Contributor

Gold Triangle (Florida)

Post by trainman »

Does anyone have any details about Gold Triangle stores in Florida? I only vaguely remember their existence. The location I'm familiar with was in Tampa, on Dale Mabry Highway just south of Columbus Drive; there was a traffic light at its entrance, and a city-installed "Gold Triangle" street sign remained there for well after a decade after its demise, in what I guess was the very late '70s or very early '80s.

This page has a picture of one in the Miami area, and the comments mention several other South Florida locations. One of the commenters says he worked at Gold Triangle in the '70s and still works for the company today, "now Macy's" -- was Gold Triangle perhaps owned by Burdines?
dooneyt63
Contributor

Re: Gold Triangle (Florida)

Post by dooneyt63 »

The Gold Triangle stores were discount department stores owned by Federated Department Stores. In many areas, the Gold Circle name was used, but most of the Florida stores carried the GT banner. They were sold to other discounters or liquidated. The successor company is of course today's Federated/Macy's.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

I believe many (if not all) the Gold Circle stores were sold to Target in 1988, shortly after Campeau Corp. bought Federated. The ones in Charlotte and (I think) Atlanta had been rebranded from Richway to Gold Circle the year before. I'm not sure how much of this also applies to Gold Triangle.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

Gold Triangle was the more hard goods counterpart to Gold Circle, which was very soft goods oriented. Both were run out of the Lazarus division (Columbus, Ohio) of Federated rather than as an autonomous operation. The old Richways were sold to Target, but the other stores had various fates. Hills bought a number of the Ohio stores.
trainman
Contributor

Post by trainman »

Ah, thanks -- I probably should have figured out the Gold Circle/Gold Triangle connection on my own.

Seems like they could have kept expanding the concept: Gold Square, Gold Pentagon, Gold Hexagon...