Acme/ Shop-Rite - SW Philadelphia - Island Ave

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

Ephrata1966
Veteran

Acme/ Shop-Rite - SW Philadelphia - Island Ave

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Does anyone know if this Acme was ever a Food Fair/Pantry Pride?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/62355920@N00/3806786546/
maynesG
Veteran

Re: Food Fair in Philadelphia - anyone recognize?

Post by maynesG »

Hi,This former Acme was built as an Acme and expanded about ten years ago. It is close to a high crime area and I was there several years ago after the last renovation when two young men got into a figth over a girl and shot it out with uzies. Thet shot up several cars in the lot our front windows, several check stands and assorted end displays.Thank god no one got hurt . Several years before the expansion , a distraugth man entered the store with a gun and killed the head CSR a couple of clerks and himself. He left no note to explain his actions.
This store always did high volume but neve rmade a profit. James Arness would have made a good choice as a store manager in this place. the food fair was locarted several blocks away from thjs store iIwant to say twentieth street? but I am just not sure. It operated as a Shop & Bag to shortly before the Shop Rite took over Acme !s lease.
Hope It helps!
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

maynesG wrote:Hi,This former Acme was built as an Acme and expanded about ten years ago. It is close to a high crime area and I was there several years ago after the last renovation when two young men got into a figth over a girl and shot it out with uzies. Thet shot up several cars in the lot our front windows, several check stands and assorted end displays.Thank god no one got hurt . Several years before the expansion , a distraugth man entered the store with a gun and killed the head CSR a couple of clerks and himself. He left no note to explain his actions.
This store always did high volume but neve rmade a profit. James Arness would have made a good choice as a store manager in this place. the food fair was locarted several blocks away from thjs store iIwant to say twentieth street? but I am just not sure. It operated as a Shop & Bag to shortly before the Shop Rite took over Acme !s lease.
Hope It helps!
They did add a Starbucks before it closed, which is surprising. I wondered if the store could have relocated from this one: http://www.flickr.com/photos/62355920@N00/3805967111/

That looks like a high-crime area because under the bridge nearby, there are old washing machines, tires, etc. in the road! Yeadon nearby also sounds very dangerous. There was a stabbing at the Acme there (now closed).
MikeRa
Veteran

Post by MikeRa »

maynesG wrote:Hi,This former Acme was built as an Acme and expanded about ten years ago. It is close to a high crime area and I was there several years ago after the last renovation when two young men got into a figth over a girl and shot it out with uzies. Thet shot up several cars in the lot our front windows, several check stands and assorted end displays.Thank god no one got hurt . Several years before the expansion , a distraugth man entered the store with a gun and killed the head CSR a couple of clerks and himself. He left no note to explain his actions.
Hope It helps!
This Acme, when it first opened, I think was a Acme Super Saver store.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Yes, this Acme was part of the Acme Super Saver program that kicked around fora few years and the signs on the stores lasted at least ten years after SuperSaver went away.