Safeway in Delaware

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

TheStranger
Veteran

Safeway in Delaware

Post by TheStranger »

Just saw this example of a marina in Dover on Flickr.com:

http://flickr.com/photos/wmarkdyer/3065953899/

Any others?
Chris Sampang
ajsanjua
Contributor

Re: Safeway in Delaware

Post by ajsanjua »

That store has been defunct as a Safeway since at least 2004. As I recall, they have a new store about a mile or so north.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi,The Marina Safeway In Dover was built in the early 1960!s and closed when the chain left the state in the late 70!s early 1980!s.It then became a Bill Cook Thriftway untill late 1999 when the Cooks decided to get out of the Grocery business and closed all five of their stores.
Shorlly afterwards, it became a pool store then most recently Dover Pools. As an Account Manager with Quaker Oats I called on this store and it was an intact Safeway with all of the original Safeway equiptment down to the Hand Trucks used to pack out groceries with.
It is one of two that was built in Delaware the other was in Rehoboth Beach, closed when the one in Dover did became a Foodland/Meat Land Supermarket and closed. It is I believe still standing and is part of the outlet center.
Safeway had other units in Seaford,last checked divided into several stores and Delmar still operating as and independent. Both of these stores were not marinas.
Interestingly enough when Safeway returned to the state, they built a brand new Unit about two miles from the Dover Pool location. Safeway alsohad a newly built unit the twin to Cambridge MD (new Unit) and Kent Island Unit that was sold to Super Fresh in Milford De
Last edited by maynesG on 03 Dec 2008 16:17, edited 3 times in total.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi, On the same topic Safeway ran at least six marina style stores on the maryland Eastern Shore that closed about the same time as the stores in Delaware as part of a Safeway Nation wide downsizing, that saw all of the units south and east of Easton Maryland close. i simply can!t think of all of the names buthere is a partial list:
SUALISBURY ON ROUTE 50
CAMBRIDGE MD (OLD STORE)
BERLIN MD ON ROUTE 50
CRISTFIELD MD
POCOMOKE CITY
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi, No sooner did I log off did i remember that their was one more Marina Safeway that I did Forget! One located on route 113 in Georgetown Delaware. It two closed when Safeway left the state and it to became a Parkers Thriftway as did the unit in Pocomoke City Md. Like the Dover Unit it was an intact Safeway with all of the trimings untill it closed about 2000 when a Walmart Super Center went up in the area.
MikeRa
Veteran

Post by MikeRa »

Safeway also has a store in Wilmington, DE that originally opened as Genuardi's when the Genuardi family still owned the chain.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Yes, the unit that you are speaking of is located on Namans Road across from the Acme, it began life as a Channel Lumber Store. Genuardi stores in Delaware that have been conveted to the Safeway banner are the former Thriftway on Us Route 40 and Route7 in Bear and the unit located on route 40 and 896 in Glassgow De. These stores changed banners when they went union several years ago the rest of the Genuardis stores are non union.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

I found a newer Safeway in Rehoboth Beach, DE. From their store locator, it seems to be the lone Safeway for miles.
gary

Post by gary »

Was Safeway ever in northern Delaware? When I lived in Newark, I was told that the Possum Park Mall/Liberty Plaza was home to a Safeway, in the building to the far left where the Outback and Barstools & Billiards now call home. I was never able to verify that.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Safeway in Delaware

Post by Ephrata1966 »

What happened with Safeway in Delaware? Did they exit the market and re-enter? I know some former Genuardi's converted to Safeway, but I saw a newer original Safeway near Rehoboth Beach. Did any of them become "AppleTree" like the ones in Texas (and I think some in Southern California)?
wnetmacman
Veteran

Split

Post by wnetmacman »

Did any of them become "AppleTree" like the ones in Texas (and I think some in Southern California)?
The Apple Tree stores in Texas were only in Texas, and weren't related to stores of the same name in any other state. There is at least one Apple Tree still open in Bryan/College Station, where the chain was based. They were started by some former Safeway managers who didn't want to see the stores close.
Scott Greer
klkla
Veteran

Re: The Last Former FoodFair/Thriftway inDelaware toClose

Post by klkla »

Ephrata1966 wrote:Did any of them become "AppleTree" like the ones in Texas (and I think some in Southern California)?
As mentioned in the last post they were two separate entities. The Apple Market stores in California were franchised by Certified Grocers (a wholesaler). It was an IGA-type operation and the stores were owned by independent operators.
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi,To answer your question yes Safeway had several stores in Kent and Sussex counties in Delaware and yes they had a marina store on Route 1 in Rehoboth which is now part of the Outlets.Safeway closed these stores and all of the stores south of Easton on Delmarva back in the 80!s. As . memory serves they had a marina store in Dover ( now a pool store), the Rehoboth store and one in Seaford and a new build ( twin to the unit recently closed on Kent Island) in Milford that became a Super Fresh. They also had a marina store on route 13 in Georgetown De that became a Parkers Thriftway and one in Delmar that became a super Valu store .
They also had stores in Cambridge , Saulisbury, Berlin, Pocomoke City, and one south of Berlin ( I simply can!t think of the name).
Ten years ago Safeway reentered the market with a new build in Dover about one mile east of their original store. They had plans at the time of building stores in Milford, Rehoboth, and Georgetown .The union local 27 claimed jurisdiction
under their former agrement with the old stores as well as the Genuardis operating in New Castle County. Safeway quickly changed these stores over to Safeway and droped plans to open any more stores in the state.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

klkla wrote:
Ephrata1966 wrote:Did any of them become "AppleTree" like the ones in Texas (and I think some in Southern California)?
As mentioned in the last post they were two separate entities. The Apple Market stores in California were franchised by Certified Grocers (a wholesaler). It was an IGA-type operation and the stores were owned by independent operators.
No, definitely an AppleTree, see for yourself: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22421801@N00/766319209

I wonder about the history of this store too.
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

Ephrata1966 wrote:
klkla wrote:
No, definitely an AppleTree, see for yourself: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22421801@N00/766319209

I wonder about the history of this store too.
That is interesting but my point was that the Texas stores and California were not related in any way. They were different companies.