AutoZone, 4803 N. Lombard, Portland,OR..Former grocery or ?

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

Super S
Veteran

AutoZone, 4803 N. Lombard, Portland,OR..Former grocery or ?

Post by Super S »

There is a Google street view available, however, I can't get it to post properly. Anyway, very obvious is the fact this used to be another store. The street sign is obviously reused from a past store. As for the main building, it could be a former grocery store. I am hesitant to say Safeway though as they have a newer store in the St. Johns area (where this store is located) and if I remember correctly that one replaced an older one in that location. The road sign has me totally stumped though. I caught a glimpse of the unusual road sign as I passed through the area earlier this week but did not have time to take a picture, perhaps I will get another chance to soon as I have family that recently moved to the area.
tkaye
Veteran

Re: AutoZone, 4803 N. Lombard, Portland,OR..Former grocery or ?

Post by tkaye »

According to the historical building permits posted at http://www.portlandmaps.com/, it was built around 1954 as Park 'n Shop. It was still Park 'n Shop in 1966.
Super S
Veteran

Re: AutoZone, 4803 N. Lombard, Portland,OR..Former grocery or ?

Post by Super S »

Park 'N Shop? Interesting. Longview had a store by that name, it was Keil's before that, and currently Office Max. Was Park 'N Shop a large regional chain at one point?