Vons on La Tijera Blvd

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

steps
Veteran

Vons on La Tijera Blvd

Post by steps »

Hey Guys, what's the history behind this Vons? I know it's an original Vons and pretty run down. Here is a pic of how it looked back in the 1950's (which btw is a better look then the current one). It looks at some point the moved the door from under the glass windows to the wall to the right. The store doesn't contain a bakery or service deli, but it looks at one time it at least had a Van De Kamps bakery. Any further history on this store?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9673489@N05/4160735461/
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!
steps
Veteran

Re: Vons on La Tijera Blvd

Post by steps »

Just passed by this VONS today and noticed the signage was taken down on both side of the store! Is the store closed for good getting a major remodel?
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Sad. That's one of my favorites. I'd hoped to get by there and take some pictures on a possible Christmas trip to LA.
fxdgrnd

Post by fxdgrnd »

That store has been closed. There are no current plans for a Vons remodel. The 50's picture was very cool to see.
Mepsione

Post by Mepsione »

This store, number twenty, was one of the original stores and its number is in sequence of its opening.

This used to be the second or third highest grossing store in the chain. It went downhill when large footprint stores like the Ralphs across Centinela opened and the new Ralphs on Sepulveda opened.

This store was remodeled in the mid 80’s with the Service liquor, HABA, and snack bar being removed and checkstands pushed up about 20 feet.

This store couldn’t compete with stores having bakery, pharmacy, floral, other outside departments.

This property had a long term lease or might even been owned.

I worked at the store for 14 years and the main problem they had was convincing the owner(s) of the back lot to sell. The property was bound in Probate.

Was also a weird layout with a tiny lot in front and very large lot in back. Entrances almost all in front.
somuchtoseeanddo
Contributor

Post by somuchtoseeanddo »

Interesting history. I worked on La Cienega, not far from this store from 1986 - 1992. This was a classic, old-school store.
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

Straight up La Cienega, "Amazon Fresh" will open in the first quarter of 2021 at the SW corner of La Cienega and Centinela as part of a new shopping center, the 4th A-Fresh store within the City of Los Angeles (the other 3 are in the San Fernando Valley). Smart & Final originally signed on and backed off, which allowed Amazon Fresh to move in. Amazon will start as a "dark store", meaning it will first train new employees and process online Prime grocery orders serving as a fulfullment center before the market opens to the public.

The parcel that Amazon Fresh sits on used to be the showroom for the original Airport Marina Honda before it moved further up on Centinela towards Westfield Fox Hills Mall. In 2014, the vacant showroom building was occupied by homeless squaters and destroyed in a fire. Ross Dress for Less and other retailers are on the portion of the lot that housed dealership's service garages.