7-Eleven Stores with Full-Length Storefronts

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

StoreLiker2006
Veteran

7-Eleven Stores with Full-Length Storefronts

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

Hi,

Since the majority of 7-Eleven stores nationwide have striped paneling on their storefronts, be it where two red squares were if on either side of the 7-Eleven logo on the older locations, or, on many stores since about 1978, full-length paneling that stretches to almost the entire storefront (on some stores, even remodels, this paneling sometimes wraps around the mansard roof!), I would like to ask you all those familiar with 7-Elevens out there: how do I tell if the (full-length) paneling on the circa 1978-90 stores is original, or if it was a replacement?

1979 7-Eleven at 5988 Jefferson Avenue, Newport News, VA:
7-Eleven by RetailByRyan95, on Flickr

1980s 7-Eleven in Ship Bottom, NJ:
7-Eleven, Ship Bottom, NJ by R36 Coach, on Flickr

1982 7-Eleven at 1200 North King Street, Hampton, VA:

1983 7-Eleven at 2712 North Armistead Avenue, Hampton, VA:

1984 7-Eleven at 12101 Jefferson Avenue, Newport News, VA:

Thank you,

Ben Edge
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Re: 7-Eleven Stores with Full-Length Storefronts

Post by Brian Lutz »

Frequently you'll be able to see remnants of the former storefront for the 3-panel sign behind the full-length storefront, which doesn't always cover everything. The most obvious sign you might find is the bias-cut wooden strips, which might still be visible.
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.
StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

I am going to go off-topic here for a bit and ask: how many other 7-Elevens have had the classic "three squares" logo suspended (or semi-suspended) on the storefront, as seen on two California-area stores? Supposedly on some older '70s stores that were part of shopping centers, the 7-Eleven circle logo would have been there in that place to start with.

Old 7-Eleven in San Jose, CA (former Speedee Mart)
screenshot test 3 by hurricandylan, on Flickr

Another 7-Eleven in San Jose:
One Stop Shop by seanpaulrichards, on Flickr

~Ben
MikeRa
Veteran

Post by MikeRa »

StoreLiker2006 wrote:I am going to go off-topic here for a bit and ask: how many other 7-Elevens have had the classic "three squares" logo suspended (or semi-suspended) on the storefront, as seen on two California-area stores? Supposedly on some older '70s stores that were part of shopping centers, the 7-Eleven circle logo would have been there in that place to start with.

~Ben
The 7 eleven that's near me in Bensalem, PA has the "Square" logo, and is part of a mini shopping center
StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

MikeRa wrote:
StoreLiker2006 wrote:I am going to go off-topic here for a bit and ask: how many other 7-Elevens have had the classic "three squares" logo suspended (or semi-suspended) on the storefront, as seen on two California-area stores? Supposedly on some older '70s stores that were part of shopping centers, the 7-Eleven circle logo would have been there in that place to start with.

~Ben
The 7 eleven that's near me in Bensalem, PA has the "Square" logo, and is part of a mini shopping center
Would you happen to have any photos of that store? Thank you very much...
MikeRa
Veteran

Post by MikeRa »

StoreLiker2006 wrote:
MikeRa wrote:

~Ben
Would you happen to have any photos of that store? Thank you very much...
I don't have any on me, but i will take one with my cellphone camera this week.