Colonial Stores in Georgia

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

Edric Floyd
Veteran

Colonial Stores in Georgia

Post by Edric Floyd »

I thought I'd post some photos of old Supermarket buildings that were possibly Colonial/Big Star foods locations around Georgia.

This location, possible Colonial?

Thomaston, Georgia

Edric Floyd
Veteran

Post by Edric Floyd »

Columbus Georgia.

Maingate Plaza, Victory Drive near Fort Benning.
Former Colonial in shopping center with former discount store.

Edric Floyd
Veteran

Post by Edric Floyd »

Macon Georgia

Ingleside Avenue, A residential and antique shopping district

Former supermarket (either Colonial or Kroger) divided into small shops and a restaurant.

In the 1990's, one of those small shops was a "Big B Express" Drug store. Big B merged with Revco and Revco merged with CVS Pharmacy. During that double merger, this location was closed and is now a local cafe.

Edric Floyd
Veteran

Post by Edric Floyd »

Macon Georgia

Former Colonial/Big Star now ROCKY CREEK FOODS

Rocky Creek Road in SW Macon.

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

The Thomaston store looks very promising as a Colonial, but I can't say with 100% certainty. The Columbus and Macon (Rocky Creek) stores are definites, as I think you already know.

The other Macon one (Ingleside) intrigues me most of all, though. I'm pretty sure that it was a Colonial, but I'd guess that the supermarket never occupied the whole building. There was probably always a drug store and maybe even one or two other shops. It looks very similar to a center that was built in Charlotte about 1947, except that the Charlotte center was bigger and also had a theatre.

Ans what really intrigues me is that way cool former discount store in Columbus. Any guesses what this was?

Nice photos. Thanks!
Edric Floyd
Veteran

Post by Edric Floyd »

Dublin Georgia

Piggly Wiggly- Possible Colonial

On Vetrans Blvd (US-80) in Downtown Dublin Georgia

Edric Floyd
Veteran

Post by Edric Floyd »

Groceteria wrote:The Thomaston store looks very promising as a Colonial, but I can't say with 100% certainty. The Columbus and Macon (Rocky Creek) stores are definites, as I think you already know.

The other Macon one (Ingleside) intrigues me most of all, though. I'm pretty sure that it was a Colonial, but I'd guess that the supermarket never occupied the whole building. There was probably always a drug store and maybe even one or two other shops. It looks very similar to a center that was built in Charlotte about 1947, except that the Charlotte center was bigger and also had a theatre.

Ans what really intrigues me is that way cool former discount store in Columbus. Any guesses what this was?

Nice photos. Thanks!
Counting the letter boards atop the discount store in Columbus I am assuming it may have been a Zayre.

The Thomaston location I posted had another empty supermarket next door. It was a Piggly Wiggly and I will post photos of that in another thread. I was thinking that it may have been a replacement for store I posted until I saw photos of former Colonial stores in the Atlanta area.

I wish I had time to really research the locations I have posted. I work in several areas of Georgia and regularly pass interesting locations and will take as many photos as possible. Glad to do it.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Edric Floyd wrote:Counting the letter boards atop the discount store in Columbus I am assuming it may have been a Zayre.
I first thought Zayre too, but their stores usually had a more imposing -- more specifically, taller -- facade. I'm leaning more toward a King's. It could be some regional Georgia chain too; I'm not too familair with any of those, so I couldn't offer a guess. It also could be that one or more letters disappeared over time.

It's pretty cool looking, whatever it was.
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

I think that red pig on the PW sign is rather evil-looking! :shock:
(Porky's doppelganger?)
Dave
Veteran

Post by Dave »

I read a theory once that after a nuclear holocaust that the only thing left on earth would be a fused layer of melted Coca-Cola bottle caps.

I believe that the corrugated metal facades of old Colonial Stores will be there right with the bottle caps. It intrigues me that although most of the ones I've seen have lost the metal sign towers that they may have had, almost all retain the corrugated metal, no matter what part of town the store is in or what new use has been made of the store.
Swifty
Contributor

Post by Swifty »

I'm originally from Columbus - but I never made too many trips down to south Columbus, so my memory is a tad hazy.

The picture of the store in Columbus was most certainly a Big Star...which I seem to recall later becoming a chain called 'South Star.' As I recall, the change happened in the mid-80s. Anyone have any info on that?

As for the discount store, it wasn't a Zayre. Zayre bought a local/regional chain called 'Gaylords,' in the '80s and that wasn't one of the locations. I specifically remember it as being a flea market, for most of my lifetime. It does look similar to some old photos I've seen of Kings stores.

I was borm in '76 - I really don't have any memory of King's stores while growing up in Columbus. And the only memory of Colonials that I have are of their incarnation as Big Star.

Columbus is now pretty much dominated by only Publix and Winn Dixie on the (relatively) high end, and Piggly Wiggly (which isn't as regional as most people think) on the very very low end. Those are really the only chains left.
Edric Floyd
Veteran

Post by Edric Floyd »

I have an update for the Macon Georgia INGLESIDE AVENUE location that I posted.

I have a friend who grew up within blocks from that store. She is in her mid 50's and gave me lots of info.

The store was definitely a Colonial Foods Store when she moved into the neighborhood as a little girl in 1963. No idea on when the store was opened but the store was closed no later than 1970. A local drug store called HARRISON's moved into the building and stayed there at least into the late 80's when Harrison's closed. As I said in my original post, when I moved to Georgia in 1994, there was a Big B express drug store. Big B was one of several drug store chains in the area until it merged with Revco and later Revco merged with CVS and all of the smaller stores were closed in the late 1990's.

During the 1970's and 1980's the building was divided into smaller shops which included the drug store space, antique stores (This is an antique shopping district today) and an Ice Cream Parlor.

The building was remodeled when it was divided but the tall post that used to have the Colonial Foods sign with "the rooster logo" as my friend calls it was kept. If you look at the photos, that is the post that reads "Blue Plate" which is one of the restaurants in the building.

The Blue Plate is in the space that was formerly the drug store.

My friend was very sure that the Ingleside Avenue location was closed before any other store changed to the Big Star format. There were two Piggly Wiggly's and an A&P within a couple of miles of this store in the 1960's.
Edric Floyd
Veteran

Post by Edric Floyd »

Former Colonial/Big Star in Griffin Georgia.
College Street in Downtown area.

Was ACE Hardware store for years. The Hardware store recently closed.

Front

Side

Front closer up

Loading dock on side of building

Rear of building from doctor's office parking lot on next street
dcgrocery
Contributor

Post by dcgrocery »

The Maingate Plaza discount store sign looks just like one we had here in Maryland. It was a SEARS catalog store. Ours was about that size too. They sold appliances, sewing machines, vacuums and hardware, carpets. etc. That would be my guess.
Edric Floyd
Veteran

Post by Edric Floyd »

dcgrocery wrote:The Maingate Plaza discount store sign looks just like one we had here in Maryland. It was a SEARS catalog store. Ours was about that size too. They sold appliances, sewing machines, vacuums and hardware, carpets. etc. That would be my guess.
that's a great guess! The amount of letters would make it that!

I hadn't thought about it being a Sears store because of its size and the original Sears at Columbus Square Mall is fairly close to this location. The mall is demolished now but the old Sears section is still standing, it is at least as old as maingate plaza.

I wonder if Columbus Georgia had two Sears stores at one time. I know Macon, Ga had a traditional Sears Dept store downtown (moved to mall in 1975) and a smaller catalog and appliance store a couple miles away. Anything is possible.

Next time I work in that area (could be anytime, anyday) I will take some time to properly reasearch this. Old phone books at the library could help.