Does this Albertsons/Kroger have a copper roof?

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

Ephrata1966
Veteran

Does this Albertsons/Kroger have a copper roof?

Post by Ephrata1966 »

Another question for the architecture department here: is this indeed copper on the roof of this Albertsons/Kroger? (8745 Spring-Cypress Road, Spring, Texas)

The store was built in 1999 or 2000, but sold to Kroger in early 2002. What is ironic is its "twin" down the road closed and is still abandoned. That one was in a much smaller shopping center, without the copper. Really sad is how it went from being a beautiful store with all the bells and whistles to an eyesore. I regret not stopping in that one when I went to the Jack in The Box there when it was new.

And could this copper be the original roof from August 1990?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/62355920@N00/5022460348/

Looks so new to me.
BK31
Contributor

Re: Does this Albertsons/Kroger have a copper roof?

Post by BK31 »

My guess is no, its not copper. It's so monolithic in color that its probably prefinished aluminum standing seam roof in a terra cotta / copper color. If it was actual copper there would be some sort of variation in color from aging and areas exposed to more water and it would most likely be a darker brown, closer to a dirty penny in color with bits of that verdigris green highlight at areas where water sits longer. You can seal copper in certain ways to maintain a newer looking appearance for longer, but you'd still have some metallic glint highlights on the spots the sun is hitting which that picture doesn't show.

Being that this is in Texas I'd be willing to bet its Berridge Terra Cotta colored roof panels.
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

It appears to be painted aluminum. It's too humid in Houston for exposed copper.
Scott Greer
maynesG
Veteran

Post by maynesG »

Hi, If it were in New York or Philadelphia we could verry easily see if the roof were copper. All we would have to look for are the fellows who are stealing the roof after hours!

Just kidding... But it could happen in Ny