Supermarket Sweep TV Show from 1967

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

umtrr-author
Contributor

Supermarket Sweep TV Show from 1967

Post by umtrr-author »

I hope this is the right place to mention this; if not, please feel free to move it...

I have a "crossover" from the Internet Discussion Group "Game Show Forum" to which I also belong. (Yes, I have rather eclectic interests.)

The original 1967 incarnation of the television game show "Supermarket Sweep" was shot on location in supermarkets. Someone has posted two clips on YouTube. We're told it was done at a Food Fair in Wallingford, Connecticut, which is now a Staples.

This should work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se4syko6Law

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IdmKVta1Ys

The picture is a bit grainy but I think it's rather remarkable that anything at all survives. There is some question as to whether the two clips are of the same episode.
Last edited by umtrr-author on 16 Sep 2011 20:15, edited 1 time in total.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Supermarket Sweep TV Show from 1967

Post by Groceteria »

This is great stuff. Most of these game shows are long gone. Networks regularly reused videotape of game shows, soap operas, and even "The Tonight Show" through the 1970s, thinking there was no demand for the material after its first airing. Imagine how amazing a complete run of the original "Supermarket Sweep" might be.
trainman
Contributor

Re: Supermarket Sweep TV Show from 1967

Post by trainman »

Groceteria wrote:Imagine how amazing a complete run of the original "Supermarket Sweep" might be.
The Museum of Broadcast Communications in Chicago actually has a fair portion of the run of the original "Supermarket Sweep" in its collection. They were available for viewing at their previous museum location, so presumably they'll be available once again when the new museum opens.