Eagle Quality Centers

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

marshd1000
Veteran

Eagle Quality Centers

Post by marshd1000 »

Yesterday I was looking up stuff about Nome, Alaska and saw that there is a store called, Hanson's/Safeway. But upon looking for it I discovered that Safeway actually does operate a store in Nome. But when looking at the ad online, it said "Eagle Quality Centers-A Safeway Company". I couldn't find any more of these stores online. But I did find out that Carrs operated them before the Safeway merger. So what is the history of those stores? Do any more exist?
bm10k
Contributor

Re: Eagle Quality Centers

Post by bm10k »

There are 2 more I know of, Valdez, and Seward
BillyGr
Veteran

Post by BillyGr »

Doing a quick search came up with:

- Valdez
- Unalaska
- Dutch Harbor
- Nome
- Homer
but not Seward

The Nome ad definitely has the Eagle info, while searching Dutch Harbor (on Safeway's site) pulled up a Carrs/Safeway ad and Seward pulled up an ad labelled as Seattle?

The only thought (being they look to be in the smaller (not that there are many large ones in Alaska) towns, maybe these are more of an "everything" store? That being that they sell more than just groceries.

One other thought - in Girdwood there is what is labelled as a general store (no brand signage on the building), but the receipt said Carrs/Safeway - maybe something like that also applies to these?
marshd1000
Veteran

Post by marshd1000 »

The store in Girdwood is Crow Creek Mercantile. I suspect that they are the hidden gems that were part of Carrs prior to the Safeway merger. But in the case of the Nome store, I actually found out about it by listening to a radio station online from Nome. There was a mention of Hanson's/Safeway on their website. So I thought it might be a case of someone trying to use the Safeway name. Much in the way there is a unrelated Safeway store in Indiana. But I looked for Hanson's/Safeway and stumbled upon Eagle. But I am wondering if the other Eagle stores switched over to the Safeway banner?
hornblwr
Contributor

Post by hornblwr »

The Seward store was replaced with a Safeway in 2005. I happened to be in Seward the weekend of the grand opening. I have attached some photos showing the old Eagle store with the new Safeway next door.
Old Eagle Quality Center, Seward, Alaska, Feb. 5, 2005
Old Eagle Quality Center, Seward, Alaska, Feb. 5, 2005
New Safeway, Seward, Alaska Feb. 5, 2005
New Safeway, Seward, Alaska Feb. 5, 2005
New Safeway and old Eagle Quality Center, Seward, Alaska  Feb. 5, 2005
New Safeway and old Eagle Quality Center, Seward, Alaska Feb. 5, 2005

The Homer store has also been replaced with a Safeway.
marshd1000
Veteran

Post by marshd1000 »

I notice that this new store has the old Safeway logo. But I know there were a few stores that had the old logo but were built with the "lifestyle" package. Was this the case here?
hornblwr
Contributor

Post by hornblwr »

I didn't go in, so I can't say for sure. Since it opened in 2005 though it's probably had the Lifestyle decor inside from day 1.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

I was in Seward last fall and shopped here. It's more or less a lifestyle store. It's much smaller than a typical Safeway but has a normal sized Starbucks (quite popular) and deli. I was there at the end of the tourist season and it looked like they got a mostly local clientele and managed to be fairly busy.