Any stores wrap your meat in brown paper at the checkout?

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

terryinokc
Contributor

Any stores wrap your meat in brown paper at the checkout?

Post by terryinokc »

I worked for Skaggs Albertsons in the 1970's and early 1980's...thru the early name changes...to Skaggs, Skaggs Supercenter, and into Skaggs Alpha Beta. We used to have rolls of brown paper at each checkstand to wrap fresh items from the meat department in before bagging them....some customers loved it...others would immediately tell you not to waste your time. Obviously this helped if you had a package that was leaking..but was time consuming too.
Any other stores do this also? I don't remember anyone else in stores I have visited...but I bet there were probably others that did.
klkla
Veteran

Re: Any stores wrap your meat in brown paper at the checkout

Post by klkla »

At Mayfair we used small paper bags for meat, not the rolls. I've never seen that in California.
GaryED44
Contributor

Post by GaryED44 »

Nope they've never laid a hand on me!

Gary
pseudo3d
Veteran

Post by pseudo3d »

terryinokc wrote:I worked for Skaggs Albertsons in the 1970's and early 1980's...thru the early name changes...to Skaggs, Skaggs Supercenter, and into Skaggs Alpha Beta. We used to have rolls of brown paper at each checkstand to wrap fresh items from the meat department in before bagging them....some customers loved it...others would immediately tell you not to waste your time. Obviously this helped if you had a package that was leaking..but was time consuming too.
Any other stores do this also? I don't remember anyone else in stores I have visited...but I bet there were probably others that did.
Where did you work, where Skaggs Albertsons went from all that to Skaggs Alpha Beta? My local Albertsons has an ad that showed it going straight from Skaggs Albertsons to Skaggs Alpha Beta, then ultimately to Jewel-Osco, and finally Albertsons.
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

pseudo3d wrote:
terryinokc wrote:I worked for Skaggs Albertsons in the 1970's and early 1980's...thru the early name changes...to Skaggs, Skaggs Supercenter, and into Skaggs Alpha Beta. We used to have rolls of brown paper at each checkstand to wrap fresh items from the meat department in before bagging them....some customers loved it...others would immediately tell you not to waste your time. Obviously this helped if you had a package that was leaking..but was time consuming too.
Where did you work, where Skaggs Albertsons went from all that to Skaggs Alpha Beta? My local Albertsons has an ad that showed it going straight from Skaggs Albertsons to Skaggs Alpha Beta, then ultimately to Jewel-Osco, and finally Albertsons.
I also remember, in Longview, TX, that the Skaggs store actually started out as Skaggs Supercenter, then Skaggs Alpha Beta, then Jewel-Osco, and finally Albertsons. It's the only Albertsons store remaining between Dallas and Shreveport. (one Tyler and one Longview store were Tom Thumb before Albertsons bought them)
Scott Greer
terryinokc
Contributor

Post by terryinokc »

I worked for Skaggs Albertsons in Oklahoma City.