Gloversville Loblaw's finally getting demolished

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

Ampersand
Contributor

Gloversville Loblaw's finally getting demolished

Post by Ampersand »

This building is finally getting demolished to make way for a new Stewarts... here is a pic of the grand opening back in 1955. Admittedly I wouldn't mind owning some of the signage.
http://www.dailygazette.com/news/2015/a ... 0_loblaws/
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Re: Gloversville Loblaw's finally getting demolished

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Correction on that-it IS demolished and construction of the new Stewart's is in full swing and will probably be open by early December. That building stood empty for OVER 40 YEARS with most of the signage remaining intact-especially on the "tower" on the side of the building. I don't mind admitting it, but I literally almost cried when the old girl finally came down. Yes it was a relic and was falling apart but to me it was a landmark and was probably the last surviving Loblaws building in America with a relatively intact exterior. Ampersand, I need to ask you: where did you get a photo of the grand opening? I have looked everywhere and come up empty.

PS: I did manage to get this when the place was being torn down:
Attachments
Loblaws Brick Two.jpg
Loblaws Brick Two.jpg (27.16 KiB) Viewed 12436 times
Ampersand
Contributor

Post by Ampersand »

http://frontpagegloversville.com/pictor ... 1950-1999/
This Loblaws was replaced when the one in the plaza downtown opened.. After Loblaws.. i think it was a smaller chain.. then a Great American, then Frontier had it then it was a different call center, now i don't know what it is..
also this may be a bit off-topic... but was there a Carrols in Johnstown and Gloversville? Also was there a Dairy Queen .. my mom keeps telling me there used to be one..
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

The "new" Loblaws opened in February 1975 closed in very early 1977 when Chicago Markets (that was the small chain based in Utica) moved in. They were then purchased by Victory Markets in the later 80's and the store was totally remodeled and branded Great American then closed in 1995. It was then a call center for Frontier (the local phone company) and then briefly for another company and has been empty for probably 5-6 years.

PS: i.e. Carrol's: yes in Johnstown and no in Gloversville. No Dairy Queen in either town that I can reacall-just an A+W in Gloversville which is now a bank.
Ampersand
Contributor

Post by Ampersand »

weird I seen people going in and out of there in the brief time I was back in town..I used to work in that building when it was a call center for 2 months..DF King is there like security for an empty building?
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Ampersand wrote:is there like security for an empty building?
There was at one time I believe because I think that company bought the building. Don't know if they still own it though. Drove by there yesterday afternoon and except for a few old RV's in the far corner of the parking lot, it's completely empty.
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Knew I had a picture of the "new" Loblaws somewhere and here it is:
Attachments
Gloversville NY New Loblaws.jpg
BillyGr
Veteran

Post by BillyGr »

TW-Upstate NY wrote:That building stood empty for OVER 40 YEARS with most of the signage remaining intact-especially on the "tower" on the side of the building. I don't mind admitting it, but I literally almost cried when the old girl finally came down. Yes it was a relic and was falling apart but to me it was a landmark and was probably the last surviving Loblaws building in America with a relatively intact exterior.
It's Gloversville's very own Dixie Square Jr.!

Sort of surprising that it managed to stick around that long in a (relatively) visible spot - although after hearing the dispute that Stewart's had to go through to use the location maybe it's a bit more understandable.

Now we have to go with the old (Kmart/Price Chopper) on Curry Road in Rotterdam - not sure how long that has been, but it has to be getting up there?
Ampersand
Contributor

Post by Ampersand »

I think it was around 1988 that K-Mart moved when Rotterdam Mall was put up isn't the bank still operating?
BillyGr
Veteran

Post by BillyGr »

Ampersand wrote:I think it was around 1988 that K-Mart moved when Rotterdam Mall was put up isn't the bank still operating?
That sounds right - I wasn't sure about PC, if they left before that or after (as they are now in the 2nd version at the Curry/Altamont intersection). Although 25+ give or take is pretty good.

The bank may still be there, I guess I was thinking of the "main" building in the back as opposed to the whole plaza.
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Probably the LAST photo before demolition of the actual building began:
Attachments
Gloversville-The Final Days One.jpg
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

The "Tower" Comes Down: